02 viper blown middle cylinder/ redoing everything!!!!

Vmax xtc 1997

viper engine removal.jpg

My project!!!! a first for me. Purchased a 02 viper last spring with a blown cylinder, thought it would be a good learning experience to make the repair.

So here I am, working on removing the engine.

Plan;

split crankcase make sure no unwanted pieces have fallen in there and replace bearing/oil seal.

put new gasket, oil seal, bearing everywhere... (jackshaft,driveshaft, speedo).

new rings, wrist pins, needle bearing and replace middle jug and piston.

new track.

clean carbs.

Should I be careful or spend some time on other area on that sled? i.e; gas filter in the tank? oil pump?

some of you guys already told me to put an opticool gasket, rear cooler.....

All advices are greatly appreciated

Insure proper end gap on rings. Also, do Viper rings have a certain side of the rings that are positioned up or down. I remember reading about a very small groove on one side of the ring and none on the other side.
Please keep in mind, I've never owned one.

Insure proper end gap on rings. Also, do Viper rings have a certain side of the rings that are positioned up or down. I remember reading about a very small groove on one side of the ring and none on the other side.
Please keep in mind, I've never owned one.

Hi Couple of Buck,

I remember to reading about it but not sure for which sled it was. I will find out for sure! thank you.

Now step one achieved; removal of engine

engine removed.jpg

While struggling to get the engine out I noticed that spring in the bottom of the cab, anybody have a clue it came from where?

misc part.jpg

Now going in!!!!! split crankcase

Was probably on the outside of a oil line connected to the crankcase to keep it from kinking.
That's how they come, Im sure it just slide off the line when hose was pulled.

Just got out of the operation table!!!

1- any idea why all the middle reed petals are chewed (top facing side)

chewed reed.jpg

2-crank toasted? the free play seem out of specs and the middle rod bearing is definitely not rolling properly and some free play from side to side as well as up and down. it did scratched a bit the bottom of the crank case (picture)

bottom crank case.jpg

that middle rod bearing is toast. i would plan on the rod being bad as well. get the others checked and replaced as needed. as you are from quebec, i would be wary of cv tec as they robbed a crank of my brothers of the good parts to build another customers crank. yamaha canada listed that as a whole assembly. yamaha usa listed all the parts seperately.

Thank you Maim.

I am always a bit scared when having some work done that I cant see the process from my own eye.

any other place you know of?

there is a guy in southern ontario that does them as well but i cannot recall who it is at the moment.

hopefully someone else will chime in. good news is you can use a 2000-2002 srx crank in there if you come across one. turns it into a torque monster as my brother ran one for a few years after the cv incedent.

there is a guy in southern ontario that does them as well but i cannot recall who it is at the moment.

hopefully someone else will chime in. good news is you can use a 2000-2002 srx crank in there if you come across one. turns it into a torque monster as my brother ran one for a few years after the cv incedent.

Probably need some other mods to accommodate that change? It just drops in place perfectly?

Good lord!!! I was paying attention to his screen name.

hahaha!!! no worries, but indeed I switched my reed cage in my vmax for srx one like you had suggested me last winter :)

but now I am working on an 02 sx viper with middle cylinder blown. I wanted a project that would make me work alot and learn.

I am wondering what could have caused the middle reed petals to be destroyed at the tips????
chewed reed.jpg

Back