Mtn. Max 600 triple rips then bog then rip then bog..repeat..???

echohunter

I'm working on a 2000 Mtn. Max 600 triple that I bought this summer and it didn't run when purchased. .guy didn't know why .. I brought it home and put clean fuel and cleaned plugs and it would start but ran rough and wouldn't stay running off choke. . . .so I pulled the carbs and cleaned them and put it all back together and it starts up pretty easy now and will idle fine but it's kinda weird in what it does now .. we had a little snow last weekend so I had a chance to go for a test ride and it will take off and rip down the road for a ways then suddenly just bog. ...dead stop and I let it set and idle for 5 seconds and it'll take off and rip again and 100 yards later it bogs. . .does this continuous .. ..when I stop and am letting it idle down it sounds like hitting on one cylinder. . kind of a bah bah bah bah bah bah bah .. .then switches up and idles normal and i can hit the throttle again .. and then it bogs again . .repeat ..when it's in the bog stage it will stay there and just bog as long as I'm hitting the throttle..soon as I let it idle down for a few seconds then it will go. . . It does have a Holtzman Vari-flow on it which I'm not sure if, or how, it works or could affect it .. ?? ...so . .thoughts??. . it's kinda like if it were running outta fuel and couldn't meet demand . .so wondering if possibly fuel pump??. .snow coming again this weekend and i'd like to make this thing run .. thanks, guys!

My 700 did exactly that a few times on the first rides of the year. In my case every time was because of water in the gas. Fresh fuel and some Seafoam always fixed it.

Another thing to check would be a cloged fuel filter. ( located in your gas tank). And did you verify that your carb floats are set to the correct height?

Last edited:
Vincent ..I didn't verify float height. ..and is there a manner to check/clean/replace the fuel filter?

We aren’t talking about TORS here are we ?
That would explain both the bog, and the bah bah bah.

I would suggest you check to make sure you have enough slack in the throttle cable at idle. Go very slack and rerun it. If it still bogs, try flipping the choke on while applying the throttle to see if it clears up. If it does, it's lean.

Did you pull the fuel inlet needle and seat to inspect the filter screen (or as Bob calls them - the top hat filter) attached to the inlet side of the seat?

Any funny things happening from the instrument cluster (i.e. lights flickering, gauges inop)?

I be got a MM600 with a 99 engine in it and had the same problem. Turns out it was my fuel pump that wasn't keeping up with the demand of the engine. Could be caused by the vent lines as well. That would be my guess. Let us know what you find.

I be got a MM600 with a 99 engine in it and had the same problem. Turns out it was my fuel pump that wasn't keeping up with the demand of the engine. Could be caused by the vent lines as well. That would be my guess. Let us know what you find.

Sounds like maybe tors?

Could be fuel pump, but never seen one fail before.
Could be tors, but odd that it would come on that far out.
May even be a stator.

So could be a few things, and is hard to diag over the internet.
Most likely not the fuel pump, they are known to be pretty hardy. It could be the vacuum lines but that doesn’t explain the intermittentness of your issue. It would always run like crap.

I would scan youtube for videos of TORRS going off, Once you actually hear it you know immediately if that’s your issue. Very distinct sound.

I would also go back through the carbs and check the float seat for proper setting and make sure it’s clear. The float controls how much fuel gets let into the bowl for that carb. If the float is set wrong the motor will burn the fuel in the bowl before the float reopens to let more fuel in

well Rooster .. .its really more specifically a bah bah bah bah. . .not a blah blah blah blah .. .I know. . .phonics over the internet is sometimes hard to determine so I don't fault ya for missing the minute differences there. .ha. . it does it at idle.. .until i let it idle for a few seconds. .then it clears up to normal idle and the sled with take off and run good for a ways. .then bog ..long as im pushing throttle it bogs. . then i let up and it'll idle down to the bah bah ..for few seconds. .then normal idle . .then I can go again. . ..just repeat that a bunch of times and you'll get the picture thats where I'm at .. I did look up vids for sound of it and it really does appear to be a torrs issue. . videos I saw did sound like what mine is doing .. so I'm gonna do a little throttle cable adjusting and see what happens..since that's about the easiest thing to do for now. . thanks for all the input guys . .let ya know what happens .

Just wanted to update . ..reading and searching and then asking here.. .answer is the tors .. .disconnected and plugged together and it runs like a top. ...now just hafta put some time into determining why .. ..thanks for all the input guys ...much appreciated . .

The reason why is your throttle cable is too tight, you need to put some slack in it. I would start there and plug TORS back in and test. If that doesn't solve it then it would be either the switch on your throttle grip Or the switch on the carb rack. Tons of info on TORS if you do a search here.

Back