Srx 700 low on compression and broken power valve

700srxrob

Hey lads just looking for some opinions on my sled I noticed my last drive of the year last season I lost about 1000 rpm on top so I figured it was a pulled cable but actually my power valve broke and the one part is stuck in the cyl I should be able to get it out with some work but my motor has 120 pounds of compression in 1 cyl and 105 in the other and 98 on the last one I was gonna re ring it I need one cyl as I seen some scores on the cyl . How do I know if my pistons ore Yamaha in order to know what rings to order Spx Wiesco or Yamaha how do I tell

I just rebuilt my SRX this spring because it had just under 100 for all 3. I would take all the jugs off. Might be able to reuse the pistons, but put on new rings on all 3 for sure. I put in new pistons ($44 a piece, I said why not) and while I haven't run it WOT because I'm still breaking it in, it runs much smoother at idle and seems to have more low end snap.

and get OEM rings if you don't need new pistons.

Last edited:
If you go new pistons they will cost a significant amount more then $44 a piston, as well as the price of a new jug. Since you live in Canada like myself we are raped for OEM Yamaha parts.

To give you an idea on how much, those stock pistons cost 230 before tax at Yamaha dealer. 3 new ones rings and jug your looking at a hefty tag for an old sled.

I was fortunate enough to buy a used jug from a sled guy near Carleton place that parts out sleds. It was 300 with a new power valve blade as well. Two fine gents from this site contacted me and sold me some used but well within spec pistons. I has a third laying around and re ringed with new Yammy rings.

You can buy cheaper Wisecos and SPI sets from Royal Distributing for around 500 with everything you need to rebuild or prepare to unload some cash for the OEM stuff.

If you would like that guys info that parts sled out let me know and I can provide his contact info, I created a few threads last year with a rebuild of my own. Lots of info in there from knowledgeable members here, great site for resources.

Last edited:

Back