1999 VX600 power inc pipes/tach issue

dschutt206

Hey guys just got a nice set of power inc center dumps given to me and they fit my 1999 vmax 600 deluxe. I have the pipes on the sled. Does anyone have baseline jetting specs? 600ft+/-. 135 is stock for the 600 and srx700 with triple pipes. I see a lot of suggestions for the jetting on 700's but they have 33mm carbs mine are 31mm. I love the sound of the pipes so id like them to work, its the gfs sled so even if theres no power gain i would like them to work. seems lean off idle right now, was going to go up a size on pilot and 140 mains across. Also is there any way to test the tach it quit working. You would think if it has signal from pickup coil (it runs) it would work. Thanks, dave.

Attachments

• vmax.jpg
    vmax.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 6
  • pipes.jpg
    pipes.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 10

While searching the site i found some info. The tach stopped working when i took the e start and reverse off this sled and put on xtc700. Saw a thread from 2011 where guys said when they take off e start the tach stops reading. However there was no solution to the problem. What am i missing? everything was plug and play, checked all my wiring no damage anywhere

If you don't have a battery connected to the harness on an electric start model your tachometer will stop working. I removed my starter and battery a while back and had to add a smoothing condenser from a sled without electric start. As soon as the condenser was installed my tachometer came back.

Last edited:
We had one in stock at the shop i grabbed it. I see that in the schematic now. Is there a plug for it on an e start machine? or do you just "t" it in with the brown and ground going to the gauge? Very helpful, Thank you

Thanks. Anyone know anything about jetting for the power inc pipes? Here is the stock specs for my sled. I was going to do 140 mains across and move the center needle up a small bit

Carburetor
Type x Quantity TM31/3
Manufacturer MIKUNI
I.D. mark 8DG1 00
Fuel level 36.0-38.0 mm
Float height 11.3-15.3 mm
Main jet #1:#136.3 #2,3:#133.8
Jet needle 6DHN50-3
Needle jet #1:Q-4 #2,3:Q-2
Pilot jet #42.5
Pilot air jet 1.0
Pilot outlet 0.8