01 SXr gearing

jb1

Putting a new track under my 01 700 and wondering what the best gearing set up would be for a little more low end punch. Thanks in advance. JB

Are you reusing the 70L chain? If you have the funds, I suggest that you replace w/ a new one. Wether it be a 68L or 70L. Your stock hearing is 22/39.
What is your riding style and conditions like? I.E. ..... ditches, ungroomed/groomed trails, lakes, jack rabbit riding?
IMG_0150.JPG

Mostly groomed trails and some off trail/ditch banging. For sure gonna replace the chain. Just looking for suggestions.

IMO, its really not that big of a gain, and sure is disappointing when you are wide open across a lake trying to be your buddy.
I was geared down 2 teeth on my top sprocket with my 600 twin. Was too much.
But, that was me and how I rode, if you never get on a lake, or want to go over 90ish, you could go 2 teeth down, but I would do it on the lower gear, as keeping the overall diameter of the gear larger is a benefit. When you go down on the top gear, that one gets to be a real tight bend for the chain, which will decrease efficiency.

Mostly groomed trails and some off trail/ditch banging. For sure gonna replace the chain. Just looking for suggestions.
I'd probably go to a 40 and leave the driven gear at 22. That will still leave you plenty of top end. One tooth on the upper is worth 3 on the lower. The same applies to motorcycle gears.
I have a new 70L still in the bag and a 40 if you cannot source locally. Clutching changes should be minimal.

Last edited:
A well set up 700 redhead will pull the stock 22/39 gearing without any issues.

Case and point, everyone who rides my long track 700 Venture (people with modern 600 and 800 etecks) always react with,

"Wow! That thing is fast and responsive as hell!"

Guess people don't expect that from a lightly moded, nearly 20 year old touring sled! All done with stock 22/39 gearing.

Last edited:
depends what you want to do and if you have reverse or not as the lower gear may be harder to find. have my 01 SXR700 set at 21/39. Achieves full shift out on the primary with stock weights, 3.6g in the tip and 4.5 in the heal. depends what type of ridding you do, i tend to run alot of trails where i average 120 kph so i did not go to 20/39. although if top end isnt an issue i would consider it. drop to a 68l chain to take the bend out of the chain.

after many gear swaps in my 01 sx700r, i ended back at the stock 22/39. i agree with vincent, as my sled was pretty damn fast all around with that setup

How fast do you need to go? Even my VT 500 (liquid) with 19/39 (eur) gearing will go 130 km/h, (80 mph) on the river, or 145 (90 mph) with clutching and good conditions on the river.
My MM 700 will go 120-130 km/h on a normal day and close to 145 km/h in good conditions. And that's with a 2'' track.

Did ya get it in yet?
Don't get all hung up on gear oil also. As long as that oil is regularly changed, you can use whatever is on your shelf. I had 20/50 on hand last time I changed my sons gears box oil.
Our chains are virtually the exact frickin same construction as a cars timing chain. And all of those are lubricated w/ the engine oil.
Our chain life/longevity has a direct correlation on how regular the oil is chained.
I know of a person that changes her delivery vans oil every single week. She puts on 29?? ever single week. And still has the factory timing chain. The van has 460,000 miles.

Back