96 vmax xt 600 clutch & belt ?

NHTodd

Hi guys just moved the sled out of the rain today and noticed when I got her back in the shed and popped the hood the belt seemed really loose and the primary clutch seemed really open. I have no idea how to figure out if the belt is shot no noticeable cracking or anything and have no idea about the clutch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I seriously need to find a service manual for this thing. Thanks, Todd

Hi guys just moved the sled out of the rain today and noticed when I got her back in the shed and popped the hood the belt seemed really loose and the primary clutch seemed really open. I have no idea how to figure out if the belt is shot no noticeable cracking or anything and have no idea about the clutch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I seriously need to find a service manual for this thing. Thanks, Todd

I would check on warn clutch parts. XT was known to eat center bushings on the clutch covers. How many miles on the sled?

I would gladly do that definitely need a manual for that. I can rebuild a clutch on a bike but not sure how the clutch works on my sled.

I would gladly do that definitely need a manual for that. I can rebuild a clutch on a bike but not sure how the clutch works on my sled.

Its pretty simple. If you become a VIP on the site, I can send you a PDF link to download it. I also have a video on clutch parts. This should be very similar on how things come apart.

https://youtu.be/5kdmUl8od-0

I'll definitely be a VIP come this paycheck. Watched the YouTube video seems pretty simple. Now is there a clutch rebuild kit anybody sells or ?. Dont wanna buy a bunch of parts I dont need but do want to get it clutched correctly for what I need. Love this forum truly thanks man.

I'll definitely be a VIP come this paycheck. Watched the YouTube video seems pretty simple. Now is there a clutch rebuild kit anybody sells or ?. Dont wanna buy a bunch of parts I dont need but do want to get it clutched correctly for what I need. Love this forum truly thanks man.

Really not a kit. I would take it apart and see whats warn and replace just that. I would guess, center bushing on primary and maybe rollers. I would also think the buttons on the secondary is shot.

Really not a kit. I would take it apart and see whats warn and replace just that. I would guess, center bushing on primary and maybe rollers. I would also think the buttons on the secondary is shot.

dont you need a special expensive tool to be able to change the center bushing?

No, you will need to find a socket that will push on the bushing but still fit through. I do it all the time at home in my shop.

X2

Did ALL my own clutch bushings on my primary and secondary with simple tools, and resources I have at home. (Vice, wood, sockets, ball peen hammer, etc....) But I'll admit 1/2 the Oem Yamaha bushings are very tight fit, and can be challenging. Now with 4000+ kms on these clutch bushings , even after hard aggressive runs, my sheaves only get warm to the touch

Last edited:
Too bad they discontinued the tune up kits as they had all the stuff you need in them other than the weights and the spring.

ok I will look at it again. I did the bushing from the cover but thought the spider had to be removed for the other one.....

Thought he was talking about the movable sheave bushing. My bad.

Yes I am indeed talking about the movable sheave. The cover one was no problem, hammered it out with an appropriate size socket and worked well. Same to put the new one in place.

My dealer told me it was approx 1000$ for the tool to remove the spider. So I will build one with a piece of steel pipe, 3 or 4 inches diameters by 5 inches high, and grind 3 notch to slide/hook on the spider. I will drill 2 holes in the top to be able to put a pry bar through.....

Back