SLP Pipes on Redhead

MURDER YAMAHA

VIP Life Member
I acquired a 1997 MM 700 with 2300 miles.

Had a set of SLP's so I threw them on.
Also did reed notch, thinned head gasket, and air box mod.

Jetted per SLP.

Noticed a little pop low end when running it on the stand, so may need to go to 2 turns out on the screws instead of the recommended 1 3/4.

Wondering if anyone has a great setup (clutching and jetting) for a redhead with SLP pipes ?

OK, left the 45 Pilots in the sled, which SLP said to do, but that is with a stock airbox.
Mine is drilled, with the shelf out and I don't want it back in.
When idling on the stand, if you go WOT, it will bog and not come out of it until you release the throttle.
This is inside a garage, with door open.
I assume its lean, but didn't have any popping.
I will put 47.5 pilots in and try again. Currently has 145 mains.
Just worried that the main jet they suggested may be to lean as well with my mods.
Any thoughts?

Any time i have shaved the heads on the 700's i have to go almost 2 1/4 turns out on the fuel screws to get it to run right, that's with 2 layers removed if that helps you any.

Ok, than riddle me this....
1 more full turn out on the fuel screws = what for jet size increase?

Very good question, I wish i could help you more but I have not messed with triple pipes too much yet.

the 700 redhead motor does not do well with the air intake modification . this is a proven fact! . been there done it!I have slp's on my 97, and it rips ,to put it modest. i dont know what your elevation is but i can give you a good starting point on specs with those pipes if you want.

Not a proven fact to me, as I now have 2 sleds with the airbox mod, and both run amazing.

https://totallyamaha.net/showthread.php/105982-700-SX-Air-Box-Mod

I put the pipes on my 1997 MM 700.
To me, they are faster than my 1997 700SX with Bender pipes, and I thought that was the best thing since sliced bread.

Ran both sleds several times side by side. SX cant catch it even form a roll until we hit around 80Mph. But, then the track and gearing comes into play.
The MM runs so well, my buddys are actually taking it to a race in Scobey MT this weekend! Lol.
I did however go back to 45 Pilots.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if 145 mains were not too lean, I'm running 150s at about 3k elevation with benders and a drilled airbox thinned hg etc. Slp may run less jet but that seems low...

I said 45 pilots, not 145 mains.
I run 150 mains with my bender pipes, and 147.5 with my SLP pipes.

OK, left the 45 Pilots in the sled, which SLP said to do, but that is with a stock airbox.
Mine is drilled, with the shelf out and I don't want it back in.
When idling on the stand, if you go WOT, it will bog and not come out of it until you release the throttle.
This is inside a garage, with door open.
I assume its lean, but didn't have any popping.
I will put 47.5 pilots in and try again. Currently has 145 mains.
Just worried that the main jet they suggested may be to lean as well with my mods.
Any thoughts?

This is what i was also reading, last time mains are mentioned I believe...

This is what i was also reading, last time mains are mentioned I believe...

Oh, sorry, that is a misprint.
It should have said 147.5, I’m getting old like Dan.... :)

So, just an update on the outcome here, had 147.5 mains, put the 47.5 pilots in, was too rich.
Went back to 45 pilots with 1.5 turns.
Runs great now. Very responsive.

I think originally, when I had the 45’s in and it was popping, was probably just not cleaned out well, as the previous owner had it sitting for years prior.

Back