2000 Mountain Max 700 track change advice

dculver

Recently bought a 2000 Mountain Max 700 with a 141" track that is in really rough shape and plan on replacing it. I haven't ridden in 30 years and things have definitely changed. Both the sleds and me. Definitely not as athletic as I was then (now 67 and packing a few extra pounds but not a big rider).
I live in Montana and will be riding in the mountains mostly, and plan on doing both on and off trail riding but nothing too technical of course.
The sled has been geared down, has Hauck Husher triple pipes and Hi-Tec clutches. Considering Hartman 151" or !62" track extension. I have located a 151x16x2.25 used track in pretty nice shape but not sure this will fit in the stock sled with the track extensions mentioned. There doesn't seem to be enough room up front for the 2.25 paddles and not sure about the 16" width.
I definitely want to make smart decisions and not get a bunch of money tied up in this; as I'm on a small retirement and SS.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Don't know if 2.25 lugs will clear but you can always cut them down to 2" if required.

16" wide track will not fit your tunnel. But I believe others have made them work by simply cutting 1/2" off the sides.

Last edited:
2.25" will need the 9 tooth drivers replaced w/ 8s when it is out for the track change. Preferably extrovert drivers w/ that track length size and lug size.
16" wide will be rubbing when installed. Run the track while on a stand. A hand held belt sander w/ a course(ish) grit will make short work of the excess. This particular brand of belt works very well w/o clogging and lasts FOREVER.
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/power-tool-accessories/sanding-belts/2364370

Don't know if 2.25 lugs will clear but you can always cut them down to 2" if required.

16" wide track will not fit your tunnel. But I believe others have made them work by simply cutting 1/2" off the sides.

Thanks Vincent. Kinda defeats the purpose of a 16" track if you have to cut it down. also have a lead on nice 151x15x2 takeoff.
Any thoughts on the 162 over a 151. Heard the 162 is easier for a novice to ride in off trail in powder, but maybe not handle as well on harder snow any thoughts.

2.25" will need the 9 tooth drivers replaced w/ 8s when it is out for the track change. Preferably extrovert drivers w/ that track length size and lug size.
16" wide will be rubbing when installed. Run the track while on a stand. A hand held belt sander w/ a course(ish) grit will make short work of the excess. This particular brand of belt works very well w/o clogging and lasts FOREVER.
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/power-tool-accessories/sanding-belts/2364370

How much will I need to take off the sides? Just enough to quit rubbing or do i need some extra clearance.
With the new drivers will I be able to run the 2 !/4 paddles without trimming.
Would I just be better off going with a 162x15x2

Thanks

Back