89 Phazer Bog Under Load

Phazer_Schmidt

So my Dad's 89 Phazer he picked up is having an issue bogging under load. Got it last year, didn't run it much due to the fan belt being off. Fixed the fan belt, cleaned the carbs and updated with the 80L primary. It starts up and idles great but bogs and almost dies when you try to give it throttle. I pulled and greased up the skid, that seems to be fine, track tension seems right. Put a new belt on, it is about flush with the top of the secondary clutch. Still have the same issue. Lifted the track up, that doesn't change anything. Took the belt off and then it would rev up fine.

I am thinking it is clutch related but not sure, wanted some opinions. The clutch is most likely stock but I didn't look to close. Any ideas?

is it firing on both cylinders?

can you rotate the secondary clutch buy hand with resonable force to turn the track?

Make sure the exhaust pipe is clear of mouse nests ,,, disconnect from engine , stuff a shop vac in pipe and it should flow free... doesn't take much
fuel or air to run an engine with zero load. Did you have the main nozzle out ?
Ron

Update,

Pulled off the exhaust and checked with a vacuum, it was clear. I went ahead and changed the gear oil and made sure the tension was right. I am able to turn the track with the secondary with reasonable force. Put it back together and still have the same problem. However, I noticed that when I hit the choke a bit it seemed to want to take off better. So I am thinking its an air issue. I pulled the carbs back off, do not see any issues there. I have the screws at 1.5 turns out from seated but I am thinking I need to try adjusting those maybe? I am also thinking about trying the plugs and plug wires off my 85 Phazer which runs great to see if that does it.

Got it last year, didn't run it much due to the fan belt being off. Fixed the fan belt.....
After re reading the orig post ... a couple minutes unless deadly cold would be too much ,,, the ideas of rings and seals may be good and I found running
with a bad seal can eventually melt down an engine the hard way.BUT my VK didn't stop running until the plug had bridged with Almn filings..
Compression test , bit of starting aid squirted around seals , etc and you may have a look inside with a scope
Ron

Update,

After the last post I went back with intention of swapping the plugs and wires with one of my phazers. Well as soon as I pulled out the plugs I realized I found the problem. The guy who sold it sent a set of brand new plugs with it and those were thrown in with no thought of checking if they were right when we were cleaning up the carbs. They were not the right plugs, put the correct plugs in and she took right off. Thanks everyone for the help and ideas on what to check. Hope this helps someone else someday.

Back