2001 vmax 600 engine swap help

Nasci89vmax

First Yamaha and got a good deal on it. Was a 2001 vmax 600 triple, motor blew and the guy swapped it with what he thought was another 600 but it's a 700 out of a 98 vmax sx. I'm going through the carbs and rejetting it but what else should I look out for? Want this thing to be reliable for me. Was told it was clutched but that would be for a 600 so need good input for a clutch setup as well. Thanks and be easy on a newb lol

Clutching and jetting, use stock 700 setup from like a 2001 sxr, look in the tech pages on this site, or I can give it to you.
Motor, gonna need a 700 wiring harness and cdi.
Other than that stuff, pretty simple setup.

Or if it's still in good shape, just find an older 700 cdi for it. A 2000 or older one should work. Im just not too sure on the options on electronics like the hand/thumb warmers.

As far as I know, the guy only swapped the motor. Used 600 carbs, 600 clutches. It runs good just very rich. I have all the 700 specs. Did that reasearch but didn't know about the carbs and jetting.

I think I read that the carbs are different size. That's the only thing I'm worried about. Gonna put the new jets in in the morning and see how it runs after that

You may be able to get away with it like that, but cdi will have a different timing curve.
Clutching will also be a concern, as the 700 will need more weight than a 600. Let us know what peak rpm is when your done.

I've experimented with a 1999 600 triple cdi and installed it on my 2000 700 triple. The sled seem to run just fine, though I didn't ride with it much.

Last edited:

Back