Dash Blinking Issues

Carl Kenew

Hi, I have a 2002 Viper 700 that I just purchased. When I bought it the guy said he had this machine at the dealer many times for the warning light and other lights blinking randomly. I.e. gas gauge, oil, coolant.etc. The yamaha dealer installed new sensors but the dash blinking never was solved. They said it must be the dash and if you wanted a new one it would cost $800 to replace. But they did say you could get a used one on eBay and install it yourself. So he never replaced it and just ignored the blinking lights.
When I got it I bought a used dash and replaced it but it didn't fix the problem.
The main blinking I see is the red caution light blinks 3 time then the little gas pump light and the gas gauge blinks at the same time. Stops and does it again in a continues loop.
Note. When I changed the crank oil I took out the battery. When I put it all together and took it out the dash worked with no blinking. But after leaving it for a week and starting it up again the dash blinking issue started backup.
Can anyone help?

Check thumb warmer wire. It’s a common problem and can cause a short in the electrical system. 3 blinks is code for the thumb warmer. On my 02 Viper, had same issue, repaired wire, no issues.

Thanks for the advise. One question, is the thumb warmer wires blue and yellow? There is a splice into the blue wire under the foam pad in the handle bars. The splice is for helmet heat shield plug.

Thanks for the advise. One question, is the thumb warmer wires blue and yellow? There is a splice into the blue wire under the foam pad in the handle bars. The splice is for helmet heat shield plug.
Remove the splice. When reconnecting, cut the wire back far enough till there is zero patina on the wire. I'm thinking resistance issue. There are better places to tap in. Less convenient , but better.
And while your right there, look to see what color it is.

Last edited:
Remove the splice. When reconnecting, cut the wire back far enough till there is zero patina on the wire. I'm thinking resistance issue. There are better places to tap in. Less convenient , but better.
And while your right there, look to see what color it is.

Thanks, I will mess with the wires when I get back to my sled.

is there gas in the sled? that will tell me if it needs a sending unit and eliminate one light.

Reach in an manually move the float up and down.
If that doesn't make it stop, may need a new sending unit like the guy in the link I posted. ^^^

check the wiring harness under the motor for rub throughs as it was a common problem on this chassis.

check the wiring harness under the motor for rub throughs as it was a common problem on this chassis.

Okay... Thanks for the ideas. I am going back up next week. I will screw around with both the harns and the tank float. I will let you know

Okay... Thanks for the ideas. I am going back up next week. I will screw around with both the harns and the tank float. I will let you know

Okay, the blinking caution and full gauge is solved. I moved the float around and it only blinks when it is full and near empty. Unit must be getting old. I can live with that and won't fix it.
The caution and coolant light is another matter. I drove it for 4 hours in the teens and both lights stayed on with no blinking. When I stopped I could hear bubbling in the engine. This morning I jacked up the back and removed the seat. I then went through the procedure to bleed the coolant system. Found a pocket of air in it. Going for a ride today. Hopefully, I found the problem and will post if it fixed the coolant light issue.
Thanks all for the help.

If the problem persists consider the thermostat, I lost two cylinders before I figured out my thermostat was not fully opening. My light was coming on as well, no blinking and the problem went away after changing the thermostat.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

If the problem persists consider the thermostat, I lost two cylinders before I figured out my thermostat was not fully opening. My light was coming on as well, no blinking and the problem went away after changing the thermostat.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

It didn't go away 🙁. I ordered a temp sensor because I heard they go bad. I will order a thermostat as well. Can't hurt to replace both plus it looks to be an easy job.

It didn't go away 🙁. I ordered a temp sensor because I heard they go bad. I will order a thermostat as well. Can't hurt to replace both plus it looks to be an easy job.
Okay, bought a new temp sensor, new thermostat and an used rear heat exchanger. If that doesn't fix the problem nothing will.

Back