New (new to me) Sled - what to check/prepare?

Jack99

New (new to me) Sled - what to check/service?

Newbie to sledding…

Last week, I bought a 1999 Yamaha Venture 600 triple (2-UP) machine. It has 4,335 kms (aka: 2,650 miles) and was end/end serviced by a local sled mechanic in fall 2017. It was previously owned by an older age guy - used to putter his grand kids around his large property/bush. Thus, no aggressive abuse. And visually, its chassis and track is cleaner than my wife's cooking dishes. (smiles).

Before I hit the local trails with my new (new to me) Vintage "limo", what should I proactively check/service on it?

re:
- 3 x new plugs NGK BR9ECS- solid tip (already on order)
- Buy new spare drive belt & clip on its belt guard (already on order)
- Install 2 x new sliders (already on order)
- Siphon out / Replace old gas in its tank.
- Check its chain case oil / depth.
- new gas filter (inside the tank)
- Check its kill switches
- Check its bogie wheel bearings.
- I noticed its TORS wiring is looped.
- Recommend a 3rd party tether switch cord?
- Good Yamaha Sled Service Manual for 1997-2002 triple (on order).
- etc. etc.???

thanks.

Last edited:

i would also check the wear bars and add the ski shim mod from the tec pages and replace the chain case oil and check the tension on the chain as the moisture will sit in the bottom of the chaincase.

Good carb clean to be sure.

Yes. My local weather is looking good for tomorrow.

Hoping to complete:

Slider replacement: _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNk6C0eIvCc
Carb cleaning: _https://totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/ausertech/Carb%20Cleaning/Carb%20cleaning%20101%20with%20pics.htm

Thanks for your feedback as well...

Last edited:
Today, I completed my limo's plastic slider replacements. Also checked its front wear bars, greased its front end parts and its under belly suspension parts and checked its bogie wheel bearings - before I lost day time light visibility. Tomorrow, I plan to complete its in-tank fuel line & fuel filter replacement task. And while its large air box is removed, I also plan to remove / clean its 3 x carbs as well. Being my 1st time, I'm sure it will take me 4 times longer to clean its carbs (compared to local sled shop) but we all had to learn the 1st time... After carb cleaning, I plan to focus on Shim Insert (in its skis) and its Chain Case areas.

Being a newbie, thanks for everyone's help / support.

Congrats on your new sled! I basically grew up on a 1999 600 Venture! Those redhead triples are fantastic engines and will serve you well for years to come.

Today, I completed its in-tank line and in-tank fuel filter replacement. Spent more time going to/from local stores getting parts - compared to completing the core task. Also removed its large air box, removed its carbs (kept bolted on their rack) and cleaned their carbs (following https://totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/ausertech/Carb Cleaning/Carb cleaning 101 with pics.htm ). To my surprise, their carb bowls and jets were very clean. But, I spray cleaned and used thin wire strand their many small jet holes anyway. Also checked throttle cable slack, choke adjustment and lots of other little things. Took me so long, my one neighbour came cover and asked if I needed help. Guess he thought I was taking too long of time as well. LOL!

Next steps: Add Fresh gas to its empty tank and install 3 x new spark plugs. Then, ready for "take off". Again. Thanks for your positive support.... This Newbie appreciates it....

Last edited:

Back