'92 exciter carb issue

kylekilbarger

I have a 92 exciter 570 pull start. Had everything torn apart since february working on a tunnel and drive train refurbishing, had all my fuel drained. Everything is put back together. Bled my oil pump and also cleaned out my carbs a bit. Went for the first start yesterday and no dice. Pull and pull and nothing. Ether sprayed directly into the spark plug holes and it will fire for a couple revs but dies. Also i am getting fuel to the bowls. Tried the air compressor in the fuel tank trick, removed the throttle cable/carb piston cap and watched fuel come up through the jet when i compressed the tank. Pulled after that and it started for maybe a couple cranks then died again. New plugs by the way. Anyone have this problem ever? I'm thinking maybe a vacuum or fuel pump issue, or perhaps the carbs are still dirty? Never had this issue before with this sled. Any help is greatly appreciated.

One more thing I noticed, the fuel gauge hose isn’t filling up either.

Last edited:

did you replace the filter/hose in the tank while it was apart? i have a vk that did this as the filter had rotted off and the hose was mush.

forgot to mention that i yanked out the fuel filter and it did not seem to be in bad shape. the hose is fine however. you say you had the same problem with a bad fuel filter...does that include how i am able to get my bowls for my floats filled but it wont spray into the motor? not too experienced with fuel systems but i would think that if i can get fuel to my bowls then it wouldnt be a filter issue, but correct me if im wrong

well my suction line would mash flat and finger tips would touch when i squeezed the hose and the bottom 1/2 of the filter was missing. carb bowl did fill on it though even like that. just was not enough to keep running.

i would also check the pulse line from the pump to the engine as if it is the wrong kind of line, it will collapse and act weird as well.

Back