Engagement shims??

Nasci89vmax

Was wondering where these are located? Have very low engagement. Adding weight and have read about adding engagement shims as well. Thanks

You will be lucky to get 100 or 200 rpm out of three shims, which is the max you can use.
Tell us a little more about your clutch setup, may be another problem that can be cured.

Also a weak primary spring can load the engine before proper engagement rpms are reached.

Last edited:
Well, put a new spring in it 2 days ago. Weights we're wrong. I have a 01 vmax with 700 redhead engine in it and had a 600 clutch setup. Now clutch is setup with wsw primary, 8ca weights,and now gotta figure out my secondary setup. Have an all red spring or the stock black/ green spring. Also have a hauck 56/50 and a bender 49/37 helix's. Not sure which setup to use. But my engagement should be allot better now. Finishing a 600 to a 700 conversion. And this is the last step. Any help is appreciated.

Good lord, you will never be able to pull a 56/50 helix. Never even heard of anything with that steep of a finish angle.
Guess if you only have the 2 choices, I would go with the other along with the green spring.

I'll buy whatever I need, just not sure what I need. New to the whole clutch tunimg. Usually just use stock. But wanna get the most out of my sled

Honestly, if it was me, I would just go to the TY tech section on this site, look up all the stock parts, and put em in.
Stock weights would be like a 8CH, your 8CA weights are from like a 1995 600.
The nice part about using a stock setup, is that there is no guessing and tuning. Should work well from the getgo.
If you want, I can list a full setup for you for a stock 700.

Ok I'll throw stock setup in, was just hoping to wake it up a little. I have an 01 vmax that was swapped from a 600 triple to a 97 vmax 700 triple. It has the electric start on it but I don't use it. Would the extra weight on the sheave make a difference?

It has the electric start on it but I don't use it. Would the extra weight on the sheave make a difference?

Absolutely! Anytime you can shed mass from your engine's rotating assembly is a good thing. The engine will Rev up faster witch intern will make your sled feel more responsive and sportier.

Took my ring gear off my primary clutch years ago and it's never going back on!

Last edited:

Back