Hot rod 79 440 Exciter

Hammer Down

I read somewhere that a phazer top end will bolt on a 440 lower end. Is this true? I guess it would be the 470? Also have to switch to twin carb. Is this worth it? I'm thinking 60ish hp in the exciter chassis would be fun.

I do a little more digging. It's the phazer 485 top end. Not sure if that would be worth it.

Popular mod. Done right you can see 70 trailable hp and it will look stock. Exciter bottom end, heads and cooling tins. Phazer cylinders, pistons and carbs. Phazer cylinders are a bit bigger in diameter so the Exciter case needs to be fly cut so the cylinders will drop in. Can be done with a die grinder but I like a machine cut. Exciter heads need to be cut to match the bore of the Phazer cylinders. Phazer cylinders need to have the stud hole drilled so you can use Exciter head hold down bolts and Phazer cylinder fins need to be trimmed to match Exciter size so Exciter cooling tins will fit. Phazer carbs, SRX 440 air box and an Aaen Phazer pipe and you have a 70+ hp Exciter that looks like it was factory built with exception of the pipe.

opsled

That sounds like fun. Are those parts easily attainable? What year srx440 airbox? Is there anything I can do for increasing the stock clutch engagement? Or does everyone go with a comet primary.

78, 79 or 80 air box is the hardest part to find (a lot of them out there). Other than that you need 1 440 Exciter worth fixing and 1 running Phazer not worth fixing. Many options on how to do it and many mods that can be done. If you start looking at what can be done with a Phazer to improve certain things you will find a lot of different options. All of them could be incorporated into an Exciter/Phazer "hybrid" engine.

Check this one out.
https://vintagesleds.com/bs/index.php?topic=37749.0

opsled

It looks to me that the Phazer is just a smaller SRV?
Wouldn't a SRV Fit where the Phazer 485 was and use the Phazer twin carbs?

Not Sure about the engine dimensions but I know the SRV had a longer stroke so the bottom ends would definitely be different. I think the phazer engine, even though it is smaller, may have more potential anyway unless you have one laying around.

Back