2003 SX Viper with instant temp alarm

Dave-R

New to this site, and hoping someone can help. I bought 2 Vipers, and both run perfect. On one, as soon as I start it, I get an alarm that flashes and the temp icon blinks with it. I replaced the temp sensor, and looked real hard for frayed wires. I pulled apart every wire connector I could and used contact cleaner on them. I know the Viper is not getting hot, but with the temp alarm in I worry that if there is a real alarm I won't know. All the functions in the dash seem to work. I just changed antifreeze and belts so I am ready to go . Ant help out there? Thanks Dave-R

Thanks for the quick reply. I think the chart with the thermo-sensor is the alarm I'm getting, but finding a short is another thing. I know the thermo-senor is good. I will start it up and read the voltage from the connector, maybe there is none. I did check the connection and one pin is grounded like I thought it would be. I will start it up and see what the hot side of the other pin in the connector is reading. Thanks Dave-R

Today I pulled the wiring harness from the top of the engine all the way to the instrument cluster. What a pain in the rear. One wire,( a blue and red stripe) went to the cluster from the thermo sensor. I had continuity from the thermo sensor, to the cluster plug. The wires looked good, with no bare spots anywhere. The other wire was a dark green wire with yellow spots that went towards the back of the Viper. That wire tested okay to ground. As this Viper does not have a battery, do they have fuses anywhere? When I test the thermo sensor connector the green wire tests okay to ground. I never did get any voltage from the blue/red wire that comes from the cluster . Yes I did start the engine. Still trying to find a wiring diagram for it. Thanks all.
Dave-R

Last edited:
After pulling the harness from under the engine, and not finding anything I tested the temp sensor wire for continuity . Everything is good from the temp connector to the gauge cluster connector. Does the cluster provide voltage to the temp sensor? It would seem so. I can get no voltage readings from that wire to ground. Maybe the cluster it's self if faulty. I have another identical sledd that I might pull the cluster out of to see what happens. I hate electrical problems. With out a battery and fuses, it is even more confusing . Dave-R

I ran into something like this on a SX and it was air trapped in the
system. Did it do this before u flushed the old fluid out of the cooling
system ? Just trying to help.

Thanks Toby: Yea it came that way since I bought it. The alarms come on as soon as I start the sled. No time for a real temp alarm. I think maybe the cluster it's self could be the cause. I would like to fix it in case a real alarm comes in. I did bleed the air real good when I changed antifreeze also. Whatever the cause, i'm not getting any voltage to the temp sensor electrical connector. Thanks Dave-R.

No Toby I still have the alarm in. I'm going to try the other green wire with yellow spots in the temp connection that goes back towards the airbox to see if that is the power supply for the temp sensor. I think that must be where the power supplies come from. Hoping to find a fuse blown. Dave-R

hey Dave i have the same issue on my 02 viper hoping you resolved your problem and can point me in the right direction. Thanks ED

Back