Potentially Blow Head Gasket sxr 700

roudyroy1

back story: Went out for a ride on the sled and was flying down a slightly icy trail. sled was running hot but not overheating.... moments later the pressed in brass fitting blew out of the heated carb valve blowing all the coolant out... noticed the expansion bottle was full. shut the sled off any towed it to a road. Next i got it home, bled the system, refilled system, bypassed the valve and went out for a ride. sled started heating up a while later on trails with good cooling snow and the bottle was full again. noticed that when running with the rad cap off a stream of small bubbles seems to be coming from the motor so i suspect the head gasket.

My question is: Do i need to check to see if the head is warped or can i just go ahead and replace the gaskets? $150 for all 3 so not looking to do it twice.

back story: Went out for a ride on the sled and was flying down a slightly icy trail. sled was running hot but not overheating.... moments later the pressed in brass fitting blew out of the heated carb valve blowing all the coolant out... noticed the expansion bottle was full. shut the sled off any towed it to a road. Next i got it home, bled the system, refilled system, bypassed the valve and went out for a ride. sled started heating up a while later on trails with good cooling snow and the bottle was full again. noticed that when running with the rad cap off a stream of small bubbles seems to be coming from the motor so i suspect the head gasket.

My question is: Do i need to check to see if the head is warped or can i just go ahead and replace the gaskets? $150 for all 3 so not looking to do it twice.

Yes that would be a blown head gasket.

just take a straight edge, like a carpenters square, to the head to make sure it is level and straight while it is off.

Update: Head gasket was blown. This sled has had odd overheating issues for some time now so i suspect it went slowly at first. head was not warped, new gaskets and it sealed right up.
On a side note; Sled has 23,000km on it, original motor. cylinders look good with visible crosshatch and no scoring. piston rock is nothing more than what i could call normal. amazing.

Blown Head gasket 2.jpgblown head gasket 1.jpg

Update: Head gasket was blown. This sled has had odd overheating issues for some time now so i suspect it went slowly at first. head was not warped, new gaskets and it sealed right up.
On a side note; Sled has 23,000km on it, original motor. cylinders look good with visible crosshatch and no scoring. piston rock is nothing more than what i could call normal. amazing.

View attachment 64766View attachment 64765

Nice!! Looks good from picture. New head gasket and torque to spec and good to go.

View attachment 64766View attachment 64765

Have you ever checked your compression? Or done a leak down test? I'm simply curious as my 700 with 17 000kms
has about 125psi across all three, and still passes a leak down test with flying colours!

Last edited:

Back