9 tooth drivers mountain max

vanslay

I found a track for the 141 and now I'm ready to install it into the sxr. I've been looking up gears etc. to try to keep the clutching and it looks like ill at least need a 24 tooth gear which looks like it will be hard to find.

If I keep my 9 tooth drivers and only run a 1.25 track I should be fine right? Or does the longer skid cause additional issues vs running a 9 tooth with a 121 inch skid.

You won’t have problems turning a 1.25 X 141 track with 9 tooth drivers. Though it mite need a bit of fine tuning to get it perfect as fare as clutching / gearing is concerned.

Last edited:
I'm getting the skid out of a 600 mountain max and that has 19t/39t gearing which would bring me to a 2.31 drive. Way too low for my setup that is currently at a 1.77 drive. The guy before me has the clutch setup perfect as far as engagement and shift out and i want to keep it the same as possible with just adding the added traction of the other skid.

Probably shouldn't be running studs with 1.25 track with 9 tooth drivers as the clearances between your studs and your forward radiator will be awfully close. My 1.35" Cobra lugs only have about 3/4" clearance from my rad.

Last edited:
thats what i thought. is there any where that sells after market gears. looking for a 24 top gear 37 bottom. do you think that the added length skid will change clutching if i keep the same ratio. I estimate I'm running around 140-150 hp

Hey now I know I'm a noob. Enlighten me with you knowledge! I'm open for suggestions since I have never done this before! And after a couple of bucks.... Your comment on one of my previous posts about not ever hooking with a 121 is the reason for the swap! I am just about done with the tunnel extension as we speak!

I can get around a 2.0 ratio if i run the 19/39 combo with the 8 tooth driver. Does that sound more acceptable?

Last edited:
This is what I run,

2000 Venture 700 triple, with all the grandpa Crap stripped off.

All the typical easy, cheap tuning / mods done. Reed stopper notched, thinned head gasket, Apex helix, Carb needles drop one notch, home made transfer rods, starter system and heavy ring gear removed, etc...

1.35 x 136" Cobra track
Stock 22 / 39 gears
9 tooth sprockets
1.77: 1 ratio

I had to add tip weight, and change to a weaker primary spring to help pull my WOT rpms down to 8500. Even with the stock tall gears, an aggressive track, and I still had to ADD more load to my engine to avoid over reving!!

Sled pulls hard and strong threw anything with excellent response!

Hth

Last edited:
Very nice vincent! I have yet to dig into everything thats done to my sled. Theres a hill climb next week and i'm just trying to figure it all out. I'll try to keep the 9 tooth drivers. Your saying after your performance mods you had to re clutch correct? The way the sled is set up is perfect for the pipes as of now. No over revving with the performance mods, who ever set it up before me knew what they were doing and thats why I dont want to switch everything around by switching to the 8 tooth drivers. The 121 spun like a son of a gun so i feel there is plenty of power for more traction. I really appreciate this forum its alot of fun to see what these old triples can do!

In stock form my sled always over reved. I figured going from a stock worn out 0.75 lug track to the Cobra would have help with that, but it didn't and I had to reclutch.

Last edited:
This was the chart I was looking at. I'm just going to stick with the stock gearing and drive for now until I have the money for gears and clutch work. Track is on the way, mounting brackets going in tonight. Another quick question for you guys... Will the sxr shocks fit on the mountain max skid? I was going to give that a go tonight as well while I have the skid out.

When I change the drive is when I'll do the gearing. What gearing would you suggest with the 8 tooth? I currently have stock gearing for the mm 600 (19-39) and the sxr (22-39)

When I change the drive is when I'll do the gearing. What gearing would you suggest with the 8 tooth? I currently have stock gearing for the mm 600 (19-39) and the sxr (22-39)

Start with the sxr's 22-39 gears with the 8 tooth drivers.. But like you've already mentioned, you still may need to gear up to a 23 tooth top gear to compensate for the drivers.

Last edited:
This is a 500 ft hillclimb race run Sunday. You think I should just run the 8 tooth this weekend and my clutching should be ok with the pass until I get the 23 tooth gear? I have a bunch of 1.5 studs lieing around I'd like to put in it but the 9 tooth won't let them fit right now...

Back