04 viper s week head light and hot grips

hessracing

04 viper s weak head light and hot grips

Hey guys I bought this sled for my wife 2 years ago and never really thought anything of it or rode it at night until tonight. My buddy has a 02 viper and i could see his head lights better that I could see my own and he was behind me. The hot grips are week they work but do not get as hot as they should and the head lights are weak also. When you switch it from high beams to low beams the tack does a cycle and bounces around anyone have this before?? Machine runs fine pulls strong.

Last edited:

I have a 04 s as well that the stator went out in. Sounds like you may have the same. I had similar issues and then it started running bad. Then died on the trail.

Mine is doing same thing now very weak headlight dash is out and won't charge battery your charging lighting section of stator is going out I will put new stator in this week and see if it fixes it.

Stator.
My 03 Mnt Viper lost the stator pretty early on in its life. It also cycled the pod when switching between high/low beam, and hitting the brake also did it. I struggled to figure out what the problem was and rode it 2 or 3 times before replacing the stator. On the last ride my hand warmers wouldn't work at all and the sled started getting a bog on the top end. Switch the warmers off, bog gone, switch the warmers back on, bog came back. I checked all the usual rub through spots. There was another guy with a thread going for the same issue that said he was just going to bite the bullet and try a new stator. I waited for him to throw the $200 at it to see if it fixed it. When he reported back that it solved the issue, I went ahead and got one for mine.

Replaced my stator tonight with a used one and with a full battery it is charging the batter up to 13.87 volts but if I start it and disconnect the ground I still get the dash to cycle and headlight is a bit dimmer but not very dim like it was before I switched stator. Guess I have to run around my yard and see if it charges my battery and acts up.

the battery smooths out the waves from stator, so if you remove the cable you have no smoothing condenser and that's why the guage and stuff will act up. a std viper has smoothing condensors a er viper uses the battery as the condenser.

Thanks for the heads up I did get my hands on the voltage regulator tonight and it had the same issues the pod cycles when you click the beams back and forth i'm going to buy a stator and change it out luckley it seems easy to get at is there any special pullers for this?? I'm sure there is ?? thanks for your help guys!

can anyone tell me the thread size on the pullers or 24mm 27mm?? i'm goint to pick on up on ebay but can find anything that says what size or what one i need?

to pull the flywheel all you need is a 3 bolt steering wheel puller kit, you can get them at harbor freight, it will come with std and metric bolts. just thread the bolts into the flywheel and little ways by finger. Hardest part of this whole part is removing the 3 allen screws holding on the recoil cup, best to take a map gas torch and heat the heads of them up BEFORE trying to get them loose so you don't strip them out, the heat will release the lock tite on threads. if you get a real bugger, a nice sharp cold chisel laid way back and strike the outer edge of the bolt in the direction to loosen it will free it up.

I started a thread at the beginning of the season that my 01 SRX would run
good up to 6000 rpm and that was it. No issues with lights etc. but was told
it would be the stator but it tested fine but bought one anyway.Anyway I did
what u don't want to do and stripped those three allen heads. What was bad is
I did the first and on the 2nd bolt it was like they were so soft it was crazy. 1/4" drive allen
all the way in and a 2 yr old could have turned it to strip.We had some snow and
put just the pickup coil on and the sled rips. I guess Ill wait for a rainy day and fight
them bolts and do the stator anyway. The problem is if u figure out it's just the coil your
not able to buy it itself, they come as a pair if buying new. Not sure if this will help but just
thought I would give it a try so u know.. GOOD LUCK

Back