2001 SXR ignites but wont start

Jonefk

Hi

I`m helping my friend with his 2001 SXR.
When I`m pulling the starter the sled ignites but wont keep going. It just fires up and stop. Some times it backfires.

I have checked the coils, sparkplug caps, sparkplugs are new, harness under the engine is checked, gas is new.

When I checked the stator I got a bit confused. All three white wirings have contact with each other when checking the ohm. Is this right?

Thanks for your help

Jone, Norway

If it's a 700 with the 300w ignition system(dual head light) unplug the black load control relay on the left hand foot well and try starting it. if successful you have a short some where in the system.

Thanks for your help..!

I have tried this with the relay, its still the same.
The reeds are ok.
I have cleaned the carbs but I didnt put them to pieces. I did not get of the floaters because the shaft seem to be latched. Maybe I should do a better job here.
All three spark plugs are looking the same, wet.

I was also thinking about the CDI. The engine started well once, but now its the same again.
Do anyone have experience with checking the stator? Thinking about the three white wirings that all have connection.

Thanks for your help..!

I have tried this with the relay, its still the same.
The reeds are ok.
I have cleaned the carbs but I didnt put them to pieces. I did not get of the floaters because the shaft seem to be latched. Maybe I should do a better job here.
All three spark plugs are looking the same, wet.

I was also thinking about the CDI. The engine started well once, but now its the same again.
Do anyone have experience with checking the stator? Thinking about the three white wirings that all have connection.

I wouldnt waste anymore time with other things until you completely break carbs down to every little part including floats and needles. Clean every jet and passage on carbs. Then see where your at.

Do an ohms check on the stator. I can send you the test out of the manual if you need it. My 01 SXR just displayed the same problems and it was the stator. It only takes 45 minutes to replace one. It only takes 2 minutes to test one.

Do an ohms check on the stator. I can send you the test out of the manual if you need it. My 01 SXR just displayed the same problems and it was the stator. It only takes 45 minutes to replace one. It only takes 2 minutes to test one.

I have done the ohm test. The two wires with high ohm was ok. The three white seems also to be ok, but i get connection between all three of them. The manual sais you should measure between the middle one and the two outer.
Soim a little confused about it...

The 2 wire harness is the trigger. The 3 wire is the stator. I tested mine with 3 different meters and got 3 different readings. I used a harbor Freight, a high end Craftsman and a Fluke. The Fluke is the only one that gave me a true reading and that lead me to the replacement of the stator. Looking at the plug there are 2 that parallel each other and one below, like an upside down pyramid. One lead on the bottom and the other lead on the top terminals one at a time.

Pull those carbs apart and give a good cleaning. When you know they are for sure good to go, then go from there if there's still an issue.

The 2 wire harness is the trigger. The 3 wire is the stator. I tested mine with 3 different meters and got 3 different readings. I used a harbor Freight, a high end Craftsman and a Fluke. The Fluke is the only one that gave me a true reading and that lead me to the replacement of the stator. Looking at the plug there are 2 that parallel each other and one below, like an upside down pyramid. One lead on the bottom and the other lead on the top terminals one at a time.

Yes, this is what I did, and according to the schematics it is OK (0,4 ohm each). But i notice that if I meaasure the ohm between the two that is parallell I also get 0,4 ohm. So I wonder if its supposed to be like this or if its failing.

Back