02 Viper Oil Consumption

Bob Williams

Over this past summer I purchased 4 used Vipers 3 - 02’s and 1 - 04. We are just getting into snowmobiling and was told these were very reliable sleds. During our first trip I noticed that one of the 02’s is consuming oil at a much higher rate than the others. What is the proper procedure for adjustment of the oil pump? One thing to mention is this sled has some sort of “can” in place of the stock muffler. It has the factory pipe though. This is a great forum thanks to all who contribute.

To check/set oil pump adjustment you open the hood and find where the oil cable separates. Slide back the dust cover to expose the cable, adjustment nut, and jam nut. Pull on the cable so that the two ends separate from each other as far as they will go and then measure the gap between them. Factory is between 20mm and 22mm. Most set it at 21mm.
With that being said...if the person riding the one drinking all the oil is a lot more aggressive rider that uses a lot of WOT, then it'll certainly use a lot more than the others. I do a lot of powder riding and climbing on mine and it really goes through the oil.
One time I cleaned my carbs and didn't get the oil cable where it separates seated back together properly. The dust covers were hiding that it was hung up and not fitted together right. I fouled two or three plugs before finally figuring out what was wrong...it only fouled them when I was riding at 0-1/4 throttle. If the cable is not seated it could be causing the higher consumption on yours.
Another thought is that some oilers are set up to "default" to wide open when they fail. I don't know if the Viper ones are that way, but if they are that is something else to keep in mind. I would think it'd be fouling plugs pretty bad though.

Last edited:

Back