Need Some Input on a Sled Build

KidWithTheSRX

I have a 2001 SRX 700, that unfortunatly crapped out on me last night, I was already planning on rebuilding it this summer, but now I guess I need to get to it sooner. I have a few questions regarding what to do with the sled. I would not only want to get it rebuilt, but also ported, and I was looking into the Bender Powerup Kit, some anti-ratchet drivers, and a 1.25" track. I know I will need to address gearing if I step down to an eight tooth driver.

So my questions are as follows:

Whats the best place to get the cylinders ported?
What gearing do I need to run with the eight tooth driver?
Does anyone have a comment on how the powerup kit does on the SRX?
Should I run mixed gas and ditch the oil injection? If so, what mixture?
Could I get more power out of other upgrades?
And finally, how can I make sure the power is being put to the ground?

I'm not sure of the price of what I'm asking, but it needs to be rebuilt, so I figured now was a good time. I was planning on getting the Wiseco top end kit, and then get new bottom end bearings and seals. Do you think I could do it myself, or better to send it out?

Whats the best place to get the cylinders ported? Mr. Viper on this site
What gearing do I need to run with the eight tooth driver? 24/37 will get you very close to stock
Does anyone have a comment on how the powerup kit does on the SRX? skip it
Should I run mixed gas and ditch the oil injection? If so, what mixture? not a chance
Could I get more power out of other upgrades? yes, see below
And finally, how can I make sure the power is being put to the ground? If you have Mr Viper port it, he will give you excellent jetting and clutching setups

Stock is supposed to be 23 / 38 with 9 tooth drivers
That is 1.65: 1 ratio

With 8 tooth drivers, stock gears it's the equivalent to 1.86:1 ratio

With 24/38 combination and 8 tooth drivers it's 1.79:1 ratio.

HTH

Attachments

• mms_20190116_164736.jpg
    mms_20190116_164736.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Do you plan on studding it? If no, then 1.25 fits with 9 tooth, just gotta pull the exchange protectors, and prolly the ones under the seat.

Do you plan on studding it? If no, then 1.25 fits with 9 tooth, just gotta pull the exchange protectors, and prolly the ones under the seat.

I was planning on running studs in a pre-drilled ripsaw, again, if you guys think there are better tracks, just let me know...

Whats the best place to get the cylinders ported? Mr. Viper on this site
What gearing do I need to run with the eight tooth driver? 24/37 will get you very close to stock
Does anyone have a comment on how the powerup kit does on the SRX? skip it
Should I run mixed gas and ditch the oil injection? If so, what mixture? not a chance
Could I get more power out of other upgrades? yes, see below
And finally, how can I make sure the power is being put to the ground? If you have Mr Viper port it, he will give you excellent jetting and clutching setups

So are you not reccomending Bender's Powerup Kit? Will the 1.74 ratio give me more bottom end or higher top speed? And lastly, are you suggesting to just rebuild the oil pump and reuse the oil injection system?

And thanks for the pictures guys, that helped out a lot rather than doing research on each individual ratio lol

Stock ratio is 1.65 on a SRX so a 1.74 will be geared down just a bit. Less top speed, but more low end.
Bender kit is $1,165, transfer rods, reeds, clutch kit, silencer, ect...
You will lose HP with the silencer, reeds will give you no gain in HP.
I feel there are better clutch setups on this site, than what a pre packed kit would give you.

Here is my suggestion, take it for what its worth.
While rebuilding motor, send parts away to be ported, head cut, ect(MrViper is good, but there are others)
Get a 1.25 track, and try it unstudded.
Leave current 9 tooth drivers and stock gearing.
Use factory exhaust, almost anything else will lose HP.
Ask for a clutch setup on this site, there is a great one that only would require a new helix, 3 rivets and a new primary spring.

Ok, if I were to change the track, I would either go to a 1.25 picked or a replacement size picked. I feel they are a benefit to have, and the prestudded don’t seem to work well. What other things should I do when rebuilding? Would you suggest aftermarket reeds and a cold air kit or is it not worth it. When I rebuild it I won’t be worrying about money, it will be to get the best SRX I can. I’m not planning on racing it, but I was hoping to make it a goal to have the fastest trail ridden SRX in southern Maine ��

I was planning on running studs in a pre-drilled ripsaw, again, if you guys think there are better tracks, just let me know...

I had a studded ripsaw for a while and was not real happy with it. I now run a 1" hacksaw with no studs and it is way better. It also depends on if you are trail riding or in the deeper snow. My personal preference would be either the hacksaw or the ripsaw 2. I also didn't care much for the 8 tooth drivers. In my opinion the srx likes to be geared taller. I would recommend mrviper also for the porting. He matched up a head for my 780 and it was perfect and he can help with the clutching. I too would not get the power up kit. You can get great clutching with Yamaha parts. If you really want to spend the money I would do a suspension swap. A mono shock is relatively cheap and is a decent suspension and it transfers weight really well. The oil pump supplies oil to the bearings and oil/water pump shaft in the crankcase so I would get a new oil pump if yours is bad. If you go with wiseco pistons you will have to always make sure the sled is warmed up properly or you will get a cold seizure. Its not a big deal as long as you are patient.

Ok, if I were to change the track, I would either go to a 1.25 picked or a replacement size picked. I feel they are a benefit to have, and the prestudded don’t seem to work well. What other things should I do when rebuilding? Would you suggest aftermarket reeds and a cold air kit or is it not worth it. When I rebuild it I won’t be worrying about money, it will be to get the best SRX I can. I’m not planning on racing it, but I was hoping to make it a goal to have the fastest trail ridden SRX in southern Maine ��

There is not much you can do to the srx for power with simple bolt on parts. I would leave that all stock. The best thing you can do is clutching and making sure the suspension is setup properly and all the bogey wheels and bearings spin freely. I don't remember the numbers but you wouldn't believe how much power is lost through the drivetrain. It is somewhere on this site.

Run larger gears to minimize chain bending around tensioner.
1"Hacksaw for a track works great, what I run.
If you have it apart a quick little power upgrade is to polish the exhaust port.
Airbox you can cut the tray, and jet up.
suspension setup.
cut the heads .010".

Carbon Tech reeds will net you zero in the hp or speed department. Although I have, on three different sleds, found that they allow for easier starting and smoother running.
A good track, such as a Hacksaw,Cobra or RipsawII will insure your putting the power to the ground.
Where(ie... ditches,trail, gravel crossings etc etc) and what snow conditions do you ride in?

Last edited:
Carbon Tech reeds will net you zero in the hp or speed department. Although I have, on three different sleds, found that they allow for easier starting and smoother running.
A good track, such as a Hacksaw,Cobra or RipsawII will insure your putting the power to the ground.
Where(ie... ditches,trail, gravel crossings etc etc) and what snow conditions do you ride in?

Sorry it's been a while, forgot I had this thread open still. I mainly ride in hardpack and a little powder, not much really as the SRX isn't made for powder with it's weight. I'd like to be able to hook hard and pull harder, but still be trail rideable with fairly high top end speed.

Back