1996 Yamaha Vmax 600 running rich

rooney3100

Hello, New to this forum, I purchased a 1996 Yamaha vmax DX 600 sled with only 300 miles, sat for 20 years, the carbs were dirty, Has some running issues, had the carbs cleaned and the reeds cleaned, I just took the sled for a 40 mile ride, went thru 3/4 tank of fuel, plugs seem wet (running heavy) up to 40 miles per hour (6K RPMS) it has some fluttering, does anyone know what the factory jetting is for the vmax? after 40 the sled rips up to 90 miles an hour, Thanks any help appreciated STEVE M

replace the fuel filter in the tank and clean the carbs again is where i would start. i got into a sled this year that has not run in at least 20 years and i basically had no fuel filter left and the hose was bad in the tank as well.

After riding the 1996 600 vmax this last week it still has fluttering from 20 - 40 miles per hour after that it just screams, temps were single digits, really sucked up the fuel, everything is stock in the sled, carbs have been cleaned, no stuck choke, slides are equal in height, running non ethonal gas is this normal to the 96 vmax's? what could I do to improve miieage and get it to run properly at lower trail riding speeds? Any Help would be greatly appreciated...STEVE M

Are you sure its running too rich when unstable?

Many years ago, I had a sled engine that did uneven RPMs as well. It seemed to idle ok and did upper RPM ok but its low to upper RPMs was unstable (inconsistent). Turned out to be bad crank seals. If you can, do check crank seals on our older age sled as well. Also check rubber boots around its carbs as well...

Jack99, the rubber boots are nice and soft, I had the seals checked and a leak down test done.....almost seems electrical, if you hold the rpm's at about 3-4k it has a miss or flutter....

Here are what the plugs look like, the sled idles fine, I ran the rpms to 4000 with the brake on and hit the kill switch after warm up, Just wondering if I go one jet size smaller 151.3 and lower the needle to 1.5 instead of 2 if that would help not run so rich and take away the lower end sputter or slight miss..20190203_142217.jpg20190203_142229.jpg20190203_142213.jpg

My 96 XT6 is at 1.5 w/ the stock 152.5s. A ball end Allen wrench is in your future.
Where in the hoot is Alpena?

Not sure what you mean by allen wrench..

Alpena, Michigan

Anybody out there want a 1996 600 Yamaha Vmax DX with 395 original miles for 1700 bucks with cover, tank bag and back rest bag.....:)

I might get back into a phazer or Venture with reverse

Last edited:
Reviving this thread...

Is it possible that on my 1995 Vmax their would have only been 1 washer below the clip and none above? Thats what I found when opening up. Wondering if I just move the clip and call it good, or is it mandatory I have both spacers in there?

Reviving this thread...

Is it possible that on my 1995 Vmax their would have only been 1 washer below the clip and none above? Thats what I found when opening up. Wondering if I just move the clip and call it good, or is it mandatory I have both spacers in there?

I'll know more in the morning, but I took the jet main needles down 1-step and while its just a garage start, smees to be ha dling low throttle much better. more detsil after "snowmagedon"...

I'm moving in the right direction with moving clip up. I think I'll go in one more time and move the spacer to the top, sled still seems a bit sluggish but far better than it was. My machine only hase 1000 miles on it and the carb slides have no wear on them so thinking that I dont have worn out needle jets.

Back