VMAX Tunnel Protector Help Needed

ClayNation

Hi -

A couple of weeks ago I purchased my first snowmobile (previously an occasional rider). 2003 VMAX 600ER (1100 miles and in great condition!). The previous owner did not install studs, or tunnel protection. I am in the process of installing tunnel protectors (guards), and then studs (144 Gold Diggers up the center, 48 single and 48 double support plates).

I have never installed either before, and I want to make sure I did not make a mistake. I originally installed the tunnel protector up the full length of the tunnel up to the bend. However the gap between the lugs and protector was very small near the front at the last 8", actually contacting at the end. So I removed the protector, shortened it up about 6", and cut it down to about a 1/2" thickness for about 6" in length to maintain the same gap as near the back and middle of the track. The protectors I installed run from about 1/2" from the rear heat exchanger up to just above the front suspension wheel - the gap between the lugs and protector seem to be even the full length. Please see the photos for better clarification to what I did.

I also drilled one additional mounting hole forward about 4 3/8" in front of the last factory provided mounting hole, so I am guessing I am deeper into the tunnel than the factory would provide (but I cannot find any information).

I think this is about the best protection that I can do while not risking frequent rubbing on the protectors near the front, or catching the protector while in reverse, however being a first time installer, I thought I better ask the experienced.

I purchased the tunnel protectors from Denniskirk, Garland 1" x 1 1/4 with channel pt no.22A-5500-0-000, and used 3/16" aluminum rivets to mount. Denniskirk tech support told me that the back is more important than the front to have the protectors due to how the suspension works, however I saw a post where someone had some damage up front on a SXR, so I was concerned.

I am using Woodys Gold Digger studs. Woodys hookup guide recommends the GDP6-1075-0 studs (1.495" OAL), however since my track isn't new, and it had had about .080" wear on the longest lugs, I dropped down to the next length to the GDP6-1005-0 studs (1.420" OAL). Woodys tech support said I would be fine with either length (Rod at Woodys is awesome by the way!). I am not an aggressive rider, but I like to get on the throttle once in a while, and will do some lake riding.

I would like to find out from those who know - if what I installed seems like adequate protection, or if I made a big mistake (also suggestions for future consideration). Also, if anyone knows how deep their tunnel protectors are at the front, that would be helpful, especially on similar model sleds.

Thank you!

Sleds.jpg Tunnel proectors.jpg Tunnel Protector Location.jpg

Back