89 Ovation secondary clutch

MikeWalters

I have a pair of 89 Ovation electric start sleds that I have almost completely rebuilt.

One of them had a Napa belt in it, and what appeared to be a "shim" to get the secondary sheaves apart a bit to let the belt ride lower.

Well it looks like this shim was just a random washer, and has been ground to shreds and deystroyed the ramp shoes, and the 2 bimetal bushings in the outer sheave have started to twist out.

Yamaha dont sell this stuff.

My question is, do I clean it all up and put it together with a proper belt... or try to get a machine shop to make an oilite or similar bushing for me? Also I do not know how tight this bushing should fit exactly.

I suppose I could just take both machine's clutches to a shop and see... Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

have you looked at the parts breakdown for a 2007-2016 phazer? the secondary clutch for it is similar to what is on the ovation other than the spline instead of the key way that the ovation used.

you could also put in the parts from a pogo venture, pogo phazer, enticer II or ss440 to convert it to the splined shaft to take the more common secondary.

Ended up getting a machine shop to make new bushings. He even pressed them in for me and cleaned it all up.

Going to borrow an alignment tool and make sure clutch is not crooked.

Back