97 Mountain max overheating

yama-freak

Hey guys, Looking for some help. I was riding my 97 mm last weekend, very cold - temps, rode 75 miles sled was running great. Stopped for a late lunch maybe 1.5 hrs. After lunch we had to ride like a block in town to the gas station, got fuel, rode another block or 2 to the trail and took off riding. Got a couple miles in and my sled blew coolant out the tank all over me. After doing some looking I believe what has happened to me is my impeller is slipping on the shaft. Just looking for a little insight as to whether or not I'm the right track. Of course, I know the belt could have broke as well. What I am trying to figure out is, if it is the impeller and shaft assembly, where can I buy the parts? I've been looking everywhere. Is there an aftermarket part available? Thanks for any help I can get on this.

Allen

Last edited:
Mountain max 600. So when we stopped after the sled blew coolant, we realized that the spark plug was really loose. Could that be what cause the issue. what can i do to check to see if it was the head gasket

Spark plug shouldn't affect it.

Just buy a jug of standard green coolant, I use the premixed 50/50.
Check the belt, there is a nickel sized hole in the top of the case over by the recoil.
You can stick your finger in there and feel the belt to see if its broken.

Once you fill coolant, in fill cap and coolant reservoir, I like to raise back of the sled at least 12" and open the bleeder bolt just above the tail light, and under the seat.
Then run it until you get coolant coming out the bleeder.

Just filling coolant wont solve whatever caused it to spit out the coolant. There is some other problem.

If your belt is good, more than likely a head gasket.

Last edited:
did you check the heat exchangers for ice build up?

have had that happen before when it is really cold out. snow melts and makes an ice dam so that snow cannot hit the tunnel coolers. smash out ice dam and it would be fine until it did it again a couple hours later. the really fun one is when it falls off of the rear cooler and stalls the motor when the chunk jams between the track and tunnel.

Actually what we think happened was the recoil spring exploded and when that happened it kicked the belt off the pulley. Bought a new belt and a used recoil and was back in business!! thanks all of you that helped me get this issues figured out and back on the trail

yama-freak

Back