2002 vmax 700 excessive oil consumption

Nasci89vmax

Saturday night sled ran great no issues. Sunday morning warmed it up and headed out. Was a little boggy but had fresh deep snow. Ended up getting stuck and had to get pulled out. After that it loaded up and just never cleared up. Brought it home and parked it. Today went to pull it into the garage and it smoked terribly and has almost no power. Blowing alot of oil out of exhaust. But plugs aren't completely fouled. I'm thinking oil pump needs replacing from research but I'm new to Yamahas. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

Forgot to add, choke was frozen today, had to thaw it out with heat gun. Started the sled and it froze up again.

Perhaps the oil pump has failed? I know that lots of pumps are set up to default to maximum oiling when they fail. If this was the case then I'd think that the plugs are fouling out. If you threw new plugs in and it seemed to run fine again, at least until the over-oiling fouls them out again, then I'd think you're on the right track. If new plugs doesn't make it run right again, then I'd suspect something else was going on.
Is it oil coming out the exhaust or fuel from a cylinder not firing?

Or perhaps moisture is simply getting into it and causing things to freeze up. If the choke cable froze up, perhaps the oiler has done so too. Get it warmed up and dried out in the garage and see how she runs with new plugs after that. That's the first step I'd try anyway.

Frozen choke will do this as well as failed oil pump. Failure doesn’t happen often but can happen. Start by getting choke cleaned and freed up then go form there.

Dealer just told me the Vipers have a default built in if the cable breaks on the oil pump, it will go fully open to save your motor. May just need a new cable or it came loose

if your having choke problems, i would start by getting that working good. Then check the speck on your oil cable, 20thousants i think. I had an oil pump sht the bed on me before. sled went into full oiling, it would burn about a quart per tank

Back