97 VMAX 700 SX Hard Start

4wealn

Hello everyone. I have a 97 VMAX 700 SX Triple, it only has bout 2400mi on it. Ever since I got it from a friend it was always hard to initially start if it sat for over a week. Once started it would start with even a half pull. I struggled with that for 3 years and than on one of the posts here someone mentioned they were going to change the plug boots. Mine were still stock so I bought a set of NGK and wow, the sled had sat for about 2 weeks and it started on the second or third pull. I was so happy. I ended up taking the sled to my local dealer to have the rear skid replaced (I long travelled it) and at the same time I had them clean the carbs. After I got it back everything was OK, and just lately it has started to become hard to start again. I had not started it for close to a month and it took a good 20+ pulls to start it the other day. Once it started it sounded dull, and then it came to life with that tingy sound. Not sure what that was. It idled fine and I let it warm up. It had full throttle response and ran great. It felt great. I ended up changing the clutch weights and rollers as per the Yamaha TSB for the 8DN belt and man if feels like it pulls harder than before.
I have about 250mi on the current plugs, could that have caused the hard start. I bought new plugs but have not installed them yet.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

I would replace needle and seat, also the o ring on the needle and seat.
They can allow too much fuel through.

My sled was hard to start after sitting for a week, same engine as yours. I noticed if I worked the choke lever to pull the cable just a smidge more, my sled starts right up. Could your choke cable need adjusted ?

They checked the reeds when they did the carbs for me and found one that had a crack in it and replaced it. I would think that they would have checked them all.

I will check the choke cable.

Thank you for all the recommendations.

Back