2003 Venture 600 pickup coil

redheadsled

Hi, posted this over on TY4stroke and was advised I might get better answers over here.

New to the site and hoping you guys can help me out. Recently acquired a 2003 Yamaha Venture 600. I have no history on the sled but it was cheap so I thought I would take a chance on it.

Anyways, I'm not getting any spark. I'm getting an open reading for the pickup coil (red to green) and 1.2 ohms between the 3 white wires on the stator. I've removed the flywheel and visually inspected the stator and there are no burnt spots, looks good. So what I'm getting at is that I would like to just replace the pickup coil before dropping $200+ on the stator assembly. I know yamaha does not sell just the pickup coil by itself but I have found a number of coils on ebay that visually appear identical to the one I have. I do not have a service manual so I'm not sure exactly what the resistance should be, however, the replacement stator assembly from RMStator shows that it should be 213 ohms.

I've found a coil on ebay that shows it will fit a venture 600 from 99-01 and that the resistance is 195 ohms. It looks identical other than the color of the wires. Do you guys think it would work? Is there any chance that the wrong pickup coil could damage the CDI box? Thanks!

pickup coil.jpg

In case anyone was wondering, I went ahead and bought the coil for a 2001 Venture 600 and it did in fact work. This should work for 2003-2006 Mountain Max, SX, Venom, and V-max as well.

Back