endurance racing vmax 4

fgram22

I have a question on this forum. Not sure if I'm on the right one but maybe point me in the right direction. I've got a 92 vmax 4 and I want to race it. It's not ice or grass drags and it's not lake or oval races. It's called the alcan 200 and it's in Haines, ak. It's a road rally. It's an all highway race and we shut the road down for the day. It's a 200 mi race and everyone's average speed range depending on the class that your in. But anyways I'm trying to get the most speed out of this tank. I know they are fast but I need overdrive on the clutch. The whole works without getting a turbo or no2. Just looking for some insight. Thank you

We have 2 fuel stops. So I'm not too worried about that. I hear that they are gas hogs. It's a timed race so um looking for speed....

I heard there was a place upper Wisconsin area or Michigan that can do overdrive on the clutch.... Does anyone know who that might be....?

Why not install taller gearing instead of the OD primary sheave? If you plan to hold this thing near wide open for 200 miles, 2 gas stops isn’t going to cut it. I would think 60-70 miles per tank when trail riding is about average....

I think it is Hauck Power Sports is the one I think you are talking about for the primary machining.

https://www.hauckpowersport.com/category/8841/vmax-4-750-800

opsled

PS, I agree with Woody. Three tanks of fuel won't get you 200 miles running that hard. I burned 23 gallons in 160 miles racing Sidewinders on the river last year on a 92 750. Only about half those miles were all out. Vmax-4 loves fuel.

Used to be several that machined the overdrive as Yamaha actually laid out the the specs in the early drag manuals. Should still be a viable upgrade even on the 4 strokers. I may have a contact still if he's not in the ground, been a bit since we played with clutches. I will give him a jingle.

On my 92 vmax crank was 180ed and welded, bender quad pipes. 2 fuel stops are not enough. mine was set up for mountain riding custom tunnel rolled chain case. I had a polaris 11gaL TANK AND AFTERMARKET SEAT. it would burn 2 1/2 tanks in a days riding hard, riding deep snow. in BC. I agree with these guys gear the sled up. running flat out you will probably run out of gas. I love the old vmax 750 and 800 parts are getting hard to find.

I think you’re gonna have to improvise some sort of extra fuel capacity. Wide open for 200 miles is going to make her thirsty.

This is what I have but have not started on. I had a metalsmith bend me up two aluminum C channels that are the appropriate size for the Rotopax to slide into from the back. Obviously the seat goes on top. There will not be a dedicated line going to the tank. Just have to get off, pull it out and fill-er up. Or gas for a buddy.
IMG_0538.JPG

I burned 23 gallons in 160 miles racing Sidewinders on up and down the river with a 92-750. Stock except for piston mods, 2 layer head gasket, 800 pipes/ignition and clutching.

opsled

I have a question on this forum. Not sure if I'm on the right one but maybe point me in the right direction. I've got a 92 vmax 4 and I want to race it. It's not ice or grass drags and it's not lake or oval races. It's called the alcan 200 and it's in Haines, ak. It's a road rally. It's an all highway race and we shut the road down for the day. It's a 200 mi race and everyone's average speed range depending on the class that your in. But anyways I'm trying to get the most speed out of this tank. I know they are fast but I need overdrive on the clutch. The whole works without getting a turbo or no2. Just looking for some insight. Thank you

Kinda late to reply but I'm not on the TY site much. Just wanted to say I sold and shipped a '97 VMax 4 to a fellow in Nome who planned to race it up there. I think it was a race like a rally. That was a few years ago and I can't recall his name. Anyway, there are a handful of those VXs up there but mostly a rarity. Nome is a long ways from Haines. I used to live in Anchorage. The VMax 4 was not a good choice for that country.

Back