sxr700 mid range hesitation??

kastner03

i’ve read a bunch of posts about bogging and most of them say if u turn the choke on part way it would get better if it’s a lean bog, turning the choke on at all makes it worse and almost stalls. it’s pretty consistent and does it wether it’s warmed up or cold. just got the sled this winter and don’t know where i should start it’ll idle all day and at wide open it seems good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Typical of these motors. I don’t remember exact reason but I do know to fix it you need to run reed spacers ir do reed stopper notch to fix. Has something to do with reed not being able to open all the way at midrange.

Typical of these motors. I don’t remember exact reason but I do know to fix it you need to run reed spacers ir do reed stopper notch to fix. Has something to do with reed not being able to open all the way at midrange.

this seems worse than that, as in if someone would have put 2 miles on it when new they would have returned it lol i’ve read that they normally bog if going from stop to full throttle but this is all the way thru the mid range even when driving slow thru the woods and stuff. i’ve never ridden another redhead but i can’t believe they all run this bad. from videos i’ve watched of people riding them, they aren’t all this bad. its prominent enough to make me believe that’s its all 3 cylinders and not just 1 dirty carb, i guess it could be all 3 but i was just checking to see if there was another common problem before the carbs have to come off. could tors act up and cause this ?

I experienced something very similar a few years back. It idle and ran great wot, but about 6500 rpms it add a terribly annoying miss / hesitation. Chaced my tail on the issue for awhile. It s more then likely I rub threw on your electrical harness somewhere.

I experienced something very similar a few years back. It idle and ran great wot, but about 6500 rpms it add a terribly annoying miss / hesitation. Chaced my tail on the issue for awhile. It s more then likely I rub threw on your electrical harness somewhere.

where did you find the problem?

Never actually did find it. My steering broke off shortly after and I had to tear everything apart. I pulled and yanked on the harness like crazy to permit me to properly reweld my steering. After that repair the annoying hesitation magical disappeared. I'm 100% sure it was rub threw grounding out a wire. But thankfully it hasn't done it in 3 season and 6000kms.

Never actually did find it. My steering broke off shortly after and I had to tear everything apart. I pulled and yanked on the harness like crazy to permit me to properly reweld my steering. After that repair the annoying hesitation magical disappeared. I'm 100% sure it was rub threw grounding out a wire. But thankfully it hasn't done it in 3 season and 6000kms.

ill look in that area first then if i start looking for wires.. broken steering stems seems to be a common problem i’m tempted to take mine out over the summer and weld it better

Reeds? TORS?

i have a stand on the way so i can lift it up and run it and i’ll start with checking tors.. do i just unplug the sensor on the carbs and hook it together? sorry this is all kinda new to me my last sled didn’t have tors or reeds lol it’s been a few years but that 79 srx was great!

yes plug the 2 wires together coming from the steering to the carbs. is your throttle cable to tight? that will bog sled down

yes plug the 2 wires together coming from the steering to the carbs. is your throttle cable to tight? that will bog sled down
just noticed tors is bypassed at the carbs and when i unhook those 2 wires that are looped together it cuts out really bad when you try to rev it, plug them back together and it goes back to normal so i don’t think that’s my issue, looks like the previous owner got their ground for the heated shield plug from the black wire going to the throttle assembly [emoji849][emoji849] with the track up in the air and it running it still doesn’t seem to rev smooth the whole way up but it’s not as pronounced as when riding it

i have a feeling this is NOT gonna be an easy thing to figure out[emoji53] the throttle cable is tight, almost seems like no free play so i’ll have to adjust that next time i get a chance, might explain why it takes a while to idle completely down then the handle bars are turned sometime ?

it’s my first triple but i’d assume it should rev smoothly and sound smooth especially when on a stand with no load ?

also, it seems to start around 5k rpms and doesn’t seem to ever clear up if you are trying to hold a slow speed like trying to ride thru tight wooded trails, as soon as you go wide open tho it seems fine

Your throttle cable is definitely too tight.

Yes it should Rev smoothly on a stand or on the trails

Are the plugs bone dry after it does it?

Your throttle cable is definitely too tight.

Yes it should Rev smoothly on a stand or on the trails

Are the plugs bone dry after it does it?

i never pulled the plugs while riding to try it, i can run it on the stand a bit and try it. only had one good snow to take it out on the trails and now we’re back to no snow[emoji107] only thing i tried was turning the choke on slightly and that immediately made it worse to the point i thought it was gonna stall

Things is the sled needs to be right up to proper running temperature for this. If it's not the plugs may look wet and this simply won't give you good trouble shooting information

We means an actual problem with your stock reeds. I.E. broken or cracker peddles

ok i’ll have to pull them out next week and check, others we’re suggesting the reed notch and i don’t that is the issue i’m dealing with. i understand most of them have a bog but this hesitation would have kept people from buying them, it’s bad[emoji107]

i’m assuming i’ll need new intake gaskets right ?

Generally no, they are reusable.

The Reed stop notch mod does help clean up the midrange response , but you obviously have something fare more serious then simple minor tuning issue.

Last edited:

Back