01 Venture 700 Triple Performance Issue

The problem has been resolved. Not sure which issue fixed it, but I did put a new tank filter in, checked the reeds and they were fine so I did the reed stopper notch since I was in there. I feel that the problem the whole time, and I feel kind of stupid not finding it sooner, was the single layer of dryer sheet the previous owner had lined inside the pre-filter on top of the air box to keep mice out. Not sure if he was running it that way when he owned it? It was hard to see because he had it nicely conformed to the shape of it. I am going to try putting it back in when I get a chance to see if that was the culprit! The thing screams now and rpm's jump right to 8500. Still seems a little rich on idle but other than that it runs mint. And thanks to everyone for all your tips!

Hope you have stainless reed stoppers and not the galvanized ones. The galvanized ones are prone to cracking in stock form. Notching them makes then even more prone to failure, and potentially engine damage.

Attachments

• mms_20190223_075919.jpg
    mms_20190223_075919.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
So, what's the top speed on a Venture 700? My 97 500 does 90 mph on the speedo in ideal conditions. Usually 81 mph.

My Venture tops off at about 150 km/h in perfect condition on gps. Pulls real hard from 0 to 120 km/h.

Interestingly I dragged race a 2015 600 eteck renegade with 4000 kms and we were basically even with every race, witch is awesome cause my 700 weighs more, makes less power and has nearly
20 000kms!

Last edited:
My Venture tops off at about 150 km/h in perfect condition on gps. Pulls real hard from 0 to 120 km/h.

Interestingly I dragged race a 2015 600 eteck renegade with 4000 kms and we were basically even with every race, witch is awesome cause my 700 weighs more, makes less power and has nearly
20 000kms!

So he has prolly already had to top end rebuilds. Whats with other brands and short engine life, how do their customers stay loyal?

20 000kms!

How fast is 150 on gps on the speedo?

Ordered mine threw my local Yamaha dealer, I do not have a part number at this moment.

Thanks I'll look into it. Another question.... what are you running for pilots, and fuel screw settings? Stock pilots are 45 and 1-1/2 turns on the fuel screws. The SXR 700 has 40 pilots and 1-1/8 turns. Wondering why one couldn't run SXR jetting? Mine definitely seems rich on idle and starting off. I was thinking of trying 42.5 pilots...

Thanks I'll look into it. Another question.... what are you running for pilots, and fuel screw settings? Stock pilots are 45 and 1-1/2 turns on the fuel screws. The SXR 700 has 40 pilots and 1-1/8 turns. Wondering why one couldn't run SXR jetting? Mine definitely seems rich on idle and starting off. I was thinking of trying 42.5 pilots...

I'm tune differently then you, but ofcourse tuning is never a one size fits all affair.

Stock 45 idle jets, screws set to 1.75 turns out. Stock main jets but with the needles drop one full notch leaner. One layer head gasket removed and Reed stopper notches.

With this set up my sled runs damn well near as good as any fuel injected engine. Always run consistent and the response it dead on no matter what the weather is like.

Back