01 Venture 700 Triple Performance Issue

Millinocket Rocket

Trying to figure this sled out. Cleaned carbs(and jets) twice, cleaned fuel tank and filter, sled runs nice and pulls great low end and midrange, but top end not so good. RPM's shoot up to 7000-7100, and then drops to 6500 with the throttle clamped to the bar. It just stops pulling and the motor almost sounds sputtery. This thing should be pulling hard and getting up towards 100 mph, but top speed is 55mph... where to start? Also note that I dropped the needles 1/2 notch, and installed an inline fuel filter between the tank and fuel pump.

May be starved of fuel from inline filter (not necessary), but shouldn't be.
Have you checked the jet sizes to make sure they are correct ?
Anything changed from last time it worked perfect?

I did clean the clutches and everything looked good and worked nice and smooth when reassembled without springs in them, and so I just ordered new springs anyways since they have 4300 miles on them. I guess I will try taking the inline filter back out (paper one, looks like the same one you used Couple of Bucks) and just buy a new tank filter. The jetting is all correct and stock, except for dropping the needles. Just got the sled this fall and it hasn't run 100% since I bought it. Next I'm thinking electrical.... rub-through or stator? Thanks for the tips..

Replace the one inside the tank before you yank the inline one out. That tank filter might be restricting fuel flow right from the get go.
When you are up to that speed where there is nothing left, blip the choke.
But the comments on AFU reeds are spot on as well. A less than perfect reed preforms worse at higher air flows. I.E. .... higher speeds. Disrupts air flow.

Last edited:
The 01 venture is a 700 red head right? isn’t a 700 redhead supposed to shift out at 8400 give or take with a stock pipe? And stock motor of course. I’d look at clutches too if you can’t even reach 8 grand after reeds and fuel filter. What weights are stock and what’s in it, also belt, and secondary.

Belt is fine. Haven't had the chance to dig into it yet, probably next week, but I don't know if this will tell anything.... when on a stand and I pin the throttle it will jump up to 7k and slowly creep up to 9k, and the speedo was up to 110mph...? I know it's not pulling a load, but...

Trying to figure this sled out. Cleaned carbs(and jets) twice, cleaned fuel tank and filter, sled runs nice and pulls great low end and midrange, but top end not so good. RPM's shoot up to 7000-7100, and then drops to 6500 with the throttle clamped to the bar. It just stops pulling and the motor almost sounds sputtery. This thing should be pulling hard and getting up towards 100 mph, but top speed is 55mph... where to start? Also note that I dropped the needles 1/2 notch, and installed an inline fuel filter between the tank and fuel pump.

I would look elsewhere than fuel delivery. Clutches, plugged exhaust, parasitic loss from a bearing, etc...

vdubracer33, i get the filter out of the tank on those by using a coat hanger to fish it out. you have to hold the hose as they did not give a whole lot of extra when they built them.

For my 1999 600 triple, I couldn't fit its in-take filter out its top filler hole. re: Its inner tank hose was too short. For its plan B, I had to remove its air intake box, empty its gas tank to 90% empty, then remove its inlet joint - from the outside of tank area (hidden within its air box cavity). If this happens to your sled, remember to install a longer in-tank hose - so it will come out the top filler opening next time. Hope this plan B helps.

Back