Tether switch - which wire to use?

Jack99

Got a 1999 Yamaha Venture 600 triple and want to install a tether cord / emergency switch on it. Think of it as a secondary emergency kill switch. I removed its handle bar padding, traced its factory kill switch wiring and discovered it factory kill switch goes into a 3 pin plug. Upon testing with a short wired, I've discovered:

Pin 1 - black with white stripe (*)
Pin 2 - back with yellow stripe.
Pin 3 - brown wire.

If I connect pin 1 and pin 2, the engine cuts out.
If I connect pin 1 and pin 3, the engine cuts out.

My tether switch only has 2 wires - which is black and red wire.

With above in mind, what pins should my tether cord switch attach to? re: Pin 1 for sure. but, do I connect other wire to pin 2, pin 3 or both? Or does it really matter?

thanks.

Black/yellow is TORS wire. Not for ignition kill.

Connect black/white to black in harness kills ignition. That brown pin 3 would probably change back to black in the harness. I would use it as the second with. I just go into the harness and tap into black and black/white for my tether installs.

Also make sure your tether is a normally open switch.

opsled

Was a warm temp day today and I was able to use my multi-meter to "buzz check" the recommended factory wires on my sled. Outcome is shown below diagram.

FYI only - in case others read diagrams better then text words (for their future tether switch install).

Note: Since each make/model of sled might be different, always double check factory wiring and factory kill switch behavior via multi-meter - before tapping into its wiring.

Hope this helps future readers.

Attachments

• Tether kill switch.jpg
    Tether kill switch.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Back