Recoil starter Keeps Braking

Ben Steel

Good Morning! I too, want to start off by saying this site is Incredible!! Ive learned so much! U guys gave me the confidence to add pipes to one of my vipers. (its not tuned yet but im working on it) with the help of the tech pages. Im 47 and semi mechanicly inclined but this recoil has got me stumped! The cord dosent brake, what ever expands the arms that grab the shaft while pulling the rope, brakes! Im on my 4th assembly. At first i thought I was just getting bad ones off ebay, but after #4, they cant ALL be flawed. The inside where it attaches looks exactly like my other viper? Nothing seems out of place. When i remove the broken recoil and pull the rope, the arms do not expand out?! Any ideas before i give up and just start it off the primary? (Ive become very proficient at it). Thanks Again.

There is only 1 pawl that swings out to grab the crank pulley. It has a small spring that returns it to a tucked in position. Also 1 coil spring under the large round metal plate in the center.
Really not much to them. The biggest trick is getting the wound spring into place.

Cant imagine why yours is breaking.
If you can post a pic of the next one you are gonna try, before you put the large round metal plate on, I could diagnose it for you.

might be time to replace the cup on the flywheel as they do wear out and having to change multiple recoils is a sign. had to do it to a doo 800 and they are infamous for that cup and recoils failing.

2-20-19 034.jpg2-20-19 033.jpg
Hope the cup is ok cuz last fella stripped out the bolts..
And the nut on the shaft was loose?? WTH

Last edited:
i am seeing wear on that cup. you can try it but no bets on it lasting from that pic. you could try dressing the edges where the dog engages so that it is nice and square again with a flat file to increase your chances.

Thank U. That's what i did! :) And a put a washer between the recoil housing and the motor. Trying to get the pawl to hit the cup in a slightly different location. I bought a new cup but its gona take some heat and patience to get those bolts out. And we went from zero snow to 61" of snow so if this one brakes, ill start her off the primary till spring. Thank u!

Back