Ovation carb swap

jjmoneysauce

A guy I know is looking to swap out the Ovation stock Teikei carb for a Mikuni. There are a few threads on it that make it sound like the ET airbox will mount up in place of the stock box with the oval boot flange. This would greatly simplify the mod. Is this true? Anyone done this mod?

I doubt the ET airbox will mount in using Ovation mounts. Might be able to use it with custom mounting but not sure there either. Why does he want to dump the stock carb? Those sleds ran perfect in stock form if maintained. Adding a Mikuni is not an improvement in my opinion. An alternative if stock carb has been ruined, yes but that's the only reason I see for changing it.

opsled

PS, The Ovation chassis has more in common with a Phazer than an ET. Phazer engine and complete drive is a bolt in on an Ovation. ET is very different.

Yeah the PZ lines are pretty evident. It would be a fun project to get a PZ drivetrain in a CS.

The spectrum of opinion is fairly wide on the Teikei carbs. It seems to range from "tune and maintain the Teikei" to "dump it for an ET carb" to "put in a new Mikuni slide." Buddy is experiencing plug fouling and running issues. It might not hurt to take a run through cleaning and adjusting the carb before doing anything too fancy.

Yes I see it often. Seems the ET sleds are very problematic for people when it comes to carbs. Guys are always wanting to swap. I don't understand as the SS440, Exciter 440, SRV and others use the same style of carb that operates exactly the same as the ET's. Guys with these other sleds almost never seem to have the same trouble even though the carb designs are almost identical. The Ovation is different and a little more complicated but still a simple carb. I would suggest trying to make it work as it should before abandoning it. They will run best stock if things are right. Also don't automatically assume the carb is the complete issue on sleds of this age. On sleds of this age crank seals can be bad from age alone and will cause issues many will think are carb related.

Good Luck, opsled

Thanks opsled, appreciate the advice. If the Teikei does go in the trash can, it will probably be a butterfly that replaces it. I've never ran a Teikei myself, so I don't have first hand experience with it; just a spectrum of opinions to sift through. My experience is mainly with Mikunis and Keihins, which have by and large performed well, as you indicate, when given the proper treatment.

Back