00 SRX 700 drive bearing

hessracing

Hey guys, I was ridding my 00 srx on Sunday and i had a little vibration coming from the tunnel, shortly after the speedo went. As soon as I got home I pulled the speedo cover and the bearing went. I limped it along probably 20 miles like that, thats how far we were from home it was rode very easy. What do you think the odds the other side bearing is ok? That one that is in the oil in the chain case and usually doesn't go bad but it got ran a ways with the drive shaft cocked maybe I'm being over superstitious? has any one done this and replaced just the one side and been OK? How the heck do you get the other side out if I needed to?

Not too sure if chaincase side will be OK...
If you want to replace it, you have to loosen rear suspension, then remove chaincase,
Not that hard to do.
I have done it many times. Nice to be able to replace all the bearings in the chaincase all at once for peace of mind.

I'm kinda thinking that I know it doesn't got bad often but I'm nervous because the drive shaft was cocked int here for a while on the ride home couldnt be good for it whats the best way for getting the the new bearing in? freeze it?

Pretty easy, speedo side, first loosen the 2 allen head set screws on bearing, the persuade it off.
Chain case side, remove chain case, just use large socket to dislodge, and same to install new bearings and oil seals.

If your speedo side bearing is trashed then all you probably have left is the sleeve on the axle and that will be much easier to get off on the work bench so don't worry about that side yet.As far as the chaincase there's a bunch of things to remove before you get at the bearing in that.The exhaust comes out,loosen the track tension off,drain the oil from the chaincase,bolt on the inside of the tunnel that drains the case,loosen the chain tensioner,take the outer cover bolts out and pull the cover.To save some mess use some rags stuffed under the chaincase as much as possible to soak up whatever oil is left plus you can take some brake cleaner and spray the guts of the chaincase down to really clean it up.Take the bolts out of the inner case and use a couple of pry bars to wiggle the case off of the jackshaft and axle.Take the parking brake and rotor off with the inner case half because trust me you don't want to take that mess apart and have to remember how to put it back together after with so limited room.There is a piece of key stock that holds the rotor onto the jackshaft so be aware that will fall out,plus there is a shim/washer and a collar that goes between the rotor and the case.Now that the chaincaseis out of the way you can crawl under the sled and work the axle out by pushing it out through the chaincase side as much as possible so the other end will come out from the speedo side.Now you can get at the rest of the old bearing.
As for new parts :
UB205 is the NTN number for the speedo side bearing
6205 is the upper and lower chaincase bearings
Outer chaincase bearing is 6204
axle seal would be a good idea to change as it probably went through some distortion in that 20 mile ride home.

Thanks guys! I have changed the track on this machine before I'm pretty Familiar with the chain case i got the sleeve off the shaft and the speedo Key out that was fun... never have changed the bearings in the case I will order the new stuff today and get it done! thank you!

Back