Picked Up a sled for my son

xsivhp

Well - After a 10 year hiatus from Yamaha sleds I have had the fun of introducing my son to some Yammi sleds over the last few years.

When he turned 12 and started riding I found him a nice Bravo to cut his teeth on.

Last year he rode a MXZ 380.

This year he has been riding a 2001 SX600R. We just swapped out the track on that one foe a ripsaw and a opportunity to buy a 2004 Viper S popped up today. So almost 15 years to the day I bought another 2004 Yamaha SX Viper S. This one with my son in mind.

My question is that it is not running all that great and I was hoping it just need a carb cleaning.

The compression is PTO 110 Center 120 Mag 125 - Do we need to replace the cylinders?

Thanks for any help!viper12.jpg

How many miles?
Clean and adjust power valves
clean carbs
Visually inspect reed petals
7XXX - those items are what I planned on starting with.

1st pic was mine before I sold it.

This pic is my son's. He thinks he is going to want to ride his SX600R after he rides the Viper hahaha! Good one.

06e220c7d6515b3e84eb82e352939f0f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

How many miles?
Clean and adjust power valves
clean carbs
Visually inspect reed petals
What do you think of the compression is that anything to be concerned about?

I want this to be reliable so any tips would be greatly appreciated!

vipers ran staggered compression so that the jetting was the same in all carbs. compression # are good as pto cyl is the one with lowered compression.

x2 with maim on comp, those numbers are pretty right on. Give it a good carb clean, clean and adjust PV. Clean out clutches really well and as murder yamaha said check those reeds. These sleds are getting some age on them now and this seems to be popping up a lot lately.

x2 with maim on comp, those numbers are pretty right on. Give it a good carb clean, clean and adjust PV. Clean out clutches really well and as murder yamaha said check those reeds. These sleds are getting some age on them now and this seems to be popping up a lot lately.
Thanks all for the replies I'll let you know how we turn out.

So we are swapping the track on the Viper and it seems there is oil all over everything. I'm thinking it is coming out of the chain case seal. The lower of which seems like the bushing is toast. The bearings feel good. Part of me thinks I should replace all the bearings while I'm in here but it adds up pretty quick. So I'm thinking new oil seals and a new collar for the lower. I'll check the brg on the other side when I pull the drive shaft in a couple minutes.

I've also learned that whoever last worked on this sled loved RED Loctite! What the heck!??!
369b57b06b481e8ccf995610cd2a8814.jpg
102dc4aaa93df1b5c7a266f204534f78.jpg
2c80cc2dfe44275ba39b17700958cddc.jpg
0eb79dd761ecbb84b393740a60d0b1a4.jpg

Cleaned the carbs, they were actually pretty clean but it think the center pilot had some junk in it. All clean now.

Looks like I need some reed petals.

Any thoughts on a good way to clean up that chain case housing?

Thanks!
ee3f4bb19d7bfe6e61d1950e4051aeb8.jpg
ac773ecf90cdd93d8e1716b0517a089a.jpg
cd5f6112b3bb3e268f6026d0a578ee12.jpg
c374cddc10b95e9e8b134509c1cfe6ed.jpg
04cf91a2dda62dc13583357bcd8b5be5.jpg
e24fda014f2d30adc02e6f808dcfada7.jpg

Factory reed petals are like 4 or 5 bucks a petal. I would replace just the damaged ones.
Bearings are cheap, and no chance would I put it back in without replacing them when I had it out already.
Here is what I use.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRACK-DRIV...RQMie:sc:USPSFirstClass!58701!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0
They make a kit for the bottom drive axle, and a kit for the jackshaft.
The drive axle is the one that needs it usually, with the speedo bearing going first, followed closely by the bottom chain case bearing.
Also, that bushing you have in your hand in the pic, there is a small o-ring inside it, new one comes in the kit, make sure you change it. That, along with the new oil seal and bearings that it comes with, should solve you troubles.

Last edited:
Skf or Nachi are the only bearings I would use, unless changing them is your regular maintenance, skip the chinese made. To each their own.

Last edited:
Sks or Nachi are the only bearings I would use, unless changing them is your regular maintenance, skip the chinese made. To each their own.

Those are not Chinese, cant remember where they are made, but not Chinese.
I have put them in 3 different sleds over the last 3 years, and have had good luck so far.
If money wasn't an object, I would buy all Yamaha parts because of my OCD. lol

Those are not Chinese, cant remember where they are made, but not Chinese.
I have put them in 3 different sleds over the last 3 years, and have had good luck so far.
If money wasn't an object, I would buy all Yamaha parts because of my OCD. lol

I think Yamaha uses the Nachi brand. I cant find an skf with that collar, and my local bearing store no longer does walk-ins under $100. I was tempted to order 6 bogie wheel bearings when I only needed 2, then immediately return 4, the pricks, guess I was a waste of time.

Back