Reed spacer details

W/ spacers, a crooked steering stem or shimmed motor might be required. I just opt for a notch on stainless reed stops. Does the same thing(slight better imo) w/o clearance issues.
I had a 97 SX7 that spacers would not allow (clearance issues) w/o either the crooked stem or shimming. The notch requires less wrenching.

Last edited:
W/ spacers, a crooked steering stem or shimmed motor might be required. I just opt for a notch on stainless reed stops. Does the same thing(slight better imo) w/o clearance issues.
I had a 97 SX7 that spacers would not allow (clearance issues) w/o either the crooked stem or shimming. The notch requires less wrenching.

Can I get a little more details on how to actually do it? I think I get the idea but what tools should I use to ect. I see the info in the tech pages just want a little more info

Here are mine. I replaced all my stock galvanized stoppers for stainless ones as my stock ones had cracks. (commun failure)

Attachments

• mms_20190217_144549.jpg
    mms_20190217_144549.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Well if mine arnt cracked I’ll just stay with the galvanized and try and use a bench grinder.

Strongly suggest you upgrade to stainless stoppers if you go this root. The galvanized stoppers are weak and removing pretious material makes the dangerously weak. Some members have damaged their engines from galvanized stopper failures. Not worth the risk... I was really lucky to notice these cracks before reinstalling them.

Attachments

• sketch-1550524064775.jpg
    sketch-1550524064775.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Strongly suggest you upgrade to stainless stoppers if you go this root. The galvanized stoppers are weak and removing pretious material makes the dangerously weak. Some members have damaged their engines from galvanized stopper failures. Not worth the risk... I was really lucky to notice these cracks before reinstalling them.

I really appreciate the concern but it’s crunch time and I’m taking an up north trip this weekend so ig I’ll hold off on the mod, next time my carbs come off I’m taking off the reeds and checking the stoppers. If anybody has a set of stainless ones in Michigan let me know I’ll buy them this week, if they already have the mod even better!

Since I’m jettin up my pilot as soon as I get thes jets in the mail, it’d Be a perfect time to replace stoppers I just need em asap is all and I doubt I’ll be able to find em before this weekend. Hell even if I can find em this weekend I’ll change em out at my hotel if I can get my hands on em, will be in the kalkaska area.

Back