electrical issue on srx

blevis213

VIP Lifetime Member
Hey guys i'm having a little issue with low/high beam switch. When i switch in between the 2 the tach goes to zero. I had the motor out his summer and checked for rub throughs and wire loomed the harness. I did find a rub through and fixed it. A friend said check your relays( haven't yet) i just want to see what you guys think. I could of miss a rub through but im pretty sure i didn't. I did notice last night when i put both srx's next to each other the one i'm having this issue with headlight is dimmer. When i give it a little throttle it will get brighter. Im thinking stator but it has all kinds of power. Just don't want to take time to change the stator if that's not it. thanks for any help

usually a tell tale sign of rub thru is when you switch the headlight from low to high the tach goes out, so you have a harness short somewhere. sometimes they rub up at steering column too. I have also found rub thrus at the cdi box plug ins, they rub on footwell, but usually engine quits on that one.

Ok thanks I’ll keep looking. In the meantime I can keep using it correct I’ve been this far.

Ok thanks I’ll keep looking. In the meantime I can keep using it correct I’ve been this far.

POst if you find it because noticed last night before a ride switching from lo to hi tach went to 0 briefly. Checked for rub through on main harness last year when motor was out, didn't check handlebars.

Interested also. My 01 srx does the same. Just drops for a second and comes right back. Everything else seems fine. I looked and loomed under motor harness, around cdi, and handle bar area. When I got it the previous owner said he just had a new oem stator installed, so interested in what you find

I'll keep ya posted but with work and riding weekends i might not get to it right away. calling for rain Sunday that might be a good day to tear into it.

Today I took the handle bar and pad off and tackled that harness.I didn’t not find any rub thru. When I put it all back together I started it to load it back on the trailer. Well guess what the sled fixed it’s self. No issue with the tack or headlight switch. Only thing I can think of is unplugging and plugging the harness plugs back into each other was maybe one wasn’t connected all the way. Not really sure maybe corrosion, I’ll keep ya posted if it comes back. Thanks for the help

Ok I'll wait to hear back. I always get the 3 blinks, I've been through the handle bar area and removed a heated shield plug from it. Still did it but can't remember if I unplugged everything or just looked for rubbed wires.

Back