is an Apex an upgrade from the SRX?

XArmy

VIP Member
I currently have a 2001 SRX that some of you have seen in my build thread. So it's almost completely new. Now I've been offered a 2007 Apex RTX ER (reverse, studded, clutch kit with clickers) asking 1500. In the dirt bike world, no one will ever convince me a 4 stroke is better than a 2 stroke. But this is the sled world and I know nothing about the Apex or Yamaha's 4 stroke sled motors. What do you guys think about the Apex vs the SRX? Is it worth it?

Last edited:

$1500 ???
That's ungodly cheap, is it shot ?

Cheapest ones I see around are around $3,000 w/10,000 miles....
I would buy it regardless if not just for resale.

To answer your question, it all depends on you, and what you like.
I like the idea of a Apex, but if both were offered to me in equal condition, I would choose the SRX.
But that's just me.

$1500 ???
That's ungodly cheap, is it shot ?

Cheapest ones I see around are around $3,000 w/10,000 miles....
I would buy it regardless if not just for resale.

To answer your question, it all depends on you, and what you like.
I like the idea of a Apex, but if both were offered to me in equal condition, I would choose the SRX.
But that's just me.

I agree buy and try if not sell it and make some money... Make sure it's not hot cause that is like one of them too good to be true things.

It's from a reputable source. It belongs to my buddy's dad. He doesn't use it much because his wife doesn't ride much. She prefers to be a passenger, so he is getting a 2-up sled. What really peaks my interest is the better rider position and reverse.

it will sit higher than the srx and handle differently as it is taller riding sled. that being said, at that price and milage i would be jumping on that no matter what model it was. that is just starting to seat in well engine wise and it has a good 30-40000 miles in it still minimum with just primarilly chassis maintenece. reverse and e start as always a good up grade. power wise you will not loose anything and will gain torque and pull all the way through the rpm range.

only thing that is almost as good as a tripple singing across the lake or grade is that 4 cyl singing.

Well, thank you to all that replied. I bought the Apex. Y pipes and donuts replaced. Studs have less than 300 miles. Just had the oil changed new spare drive belt, and new drive shaft bearings. Just couldn't pass it up. Now I just need to get home from this deployment and next winter to get here. :(

You are going to love it. Will take some getting used to the way they ride/handle, compression braking etc but they haul *** and are much more comfortable to ride.

I sold my 4 stroke as I have very little time to ride anymore but at that price I would grab one in a heartbeat..

opsled

^^what opsled said. once you get used to the pull of that engine....your gonna love it. Hardest thing is hooking that torque monster up on the line. You got yourself a smokin deal there

I couldn't fall on a deal like that if I was pushed out a window and landed on it ....lol
Nice score. Dirt cheap!

I couldn't fall on a deal like that if I was pushed out a window and landed on it ....lol
Nice score. Dirt cheap!

Man I’m dying over here laughing... Fall out a window on that deal, good stuff!!!! I thought I got a great deal on my Viper this year! I would say you owe your friends Dad one or two!!!

Last edited:
XArmy, you will love the Apex. I have 2 SRX’s and 2 Apex’s.....two totally different rigs. I don’t think anybody can say one is better than the other, but man does the Apex pull. My bone stock Apex smokes my smoothed over SRX everytime in our 660’ snow drags. The best part about the Apex is the performance is exactly the same, time after time. Enjoy!

I've been learning all I can about them. I can't wait to ride it. I'm sure it will be great, but I do know nothing sounds like the sweet tune of a screaming triple 2 stroke. I will miss that.

One bit of advice on the big 4 strokes if you've never ridden one before.

Don't go out and peg it right away. Give yourself a bit to get used to the speed, handling and compression braking. They are smooth, fast and don't really feel like it in comparison to some older sleds. You may end up coming in to a corner to hot and get into trouble. Other is the compression braking. Drop the throttle to quick in a slippery corner and it may come around on you.

You get used to it fast but the first slick corner could be trouble.

opsled

One bit of advice on the big 4 strokes if you've never ridden one before.

Don't go out and peg it right away. Give yourself a bit to get used to the speed, handling and compression braking. They are smooth, fast and don't really feel like it in comparison to some older sleds. You may end up coming in to a corner to hot and get into trouble. Other is the compression braking. Drop the throttle to quick in a slippery corner and it may come around on you.

You get used to it fast but the first slick corner could be trouble.

opsled

I will definitely make note of that. Thank you.

I sold my last 2 stroke (SX Viper) in 2013 and went to the Apex and was very happy. I just sold that this January with 16,000 miles on it, still ran and looked new. The one thing I learned though..... A short track one just does not want to hook up and they ride a bit choppier. Mine was a 2007 Attak GT (136) version. I had one friend that had a 2006 Apex GT short track and he did the 136 conversion kit to his and it made a world of difference in ride and hookup. I put a 136 Ripsaw II on mine and what a difference in traction compared to the factory Ripsaw. I also clutched it and I can tell you there is one and only one clutch kit that works this good on an Apex. Blows all others off the map.....Pro Line Performance out of Pine Island. Uses all Dalton parts but you have to buy it from Pro Line. It's heads and heels better than stock and I raced several other Apex's with various (other vendor) clutch kits and it was a no contest. In testing a stocker it was like 10 plus sled lengths better. The guys did their homework on that setup. I do know Mike Knapp (knappattack) over on the 4 stroke side had his hands on helping develop that kit.

Back