Sxr 600 bogging issues

Yamalover700

Hi everyone, have a 2001 sxr 600 and noticed some bogging issues that came out of nowhere, started out smelling a burning belt while driving, then it started smoking a lot while warming up and feeling gutless mid range and bottom end but top end wasn’t too bad but now the top end is starting to bog, so I put it on a stand and started it, noticed the idle was low and the track was spinning pretty quick and have to use the brakes to slow it down, I changed the belt and now it’s spinning normally but still bogging all over the place sounding like it wants to die and then backfires...lean mixture, took the carbs apart and cleaned them, they were spotless, not any dirt in there or clogged jets, the reeds are good, no cracks or light coming through, the crank looked awesome too, only thing I noticed was gas at the bottom of the case so I sucked all that up and put everything back together making sure there wouldn’t be any air leaks anywhere but now it’s bogging from a rich mixture and smoking all the time:o| Plus the track started spinning furiously again, the plugs are slightly wet so I swapped them and it’s still happening... I also bypassed the tors system too so I don’t think it could be that, I’m out of ideas unless it’s clutch related. It has 125psi on all 3, any ideas would be much appreciated, sorry for the long paragraph

Hi everyone, have a 2001 sxr 600 and noticed some bogging issues that came out of nowhere, started out smelling a burning belt while driving, then it started smoking a lot while warming up and feeling gutless mid range and bottom end but top end wasn’t too bad but now the top end is starting to bog, so I put it on a stand and started it, noticed the idle was low and the track was spinning pretty quick and have to use the brakes to slow it down, I changed the belt and now it’s spinning normally but still bogging all over the place sounding like it wants to die and then backfires...lean mixture, took the carbs apart and cleaned them, they were spotless, not any dirt in there or clogged jets, the reeds are good, no cracks or light coming through, the crank looked awesome too, only thing I noticed was gas at the bottom of the case so I sucked all that up and put everything back together making sure there wouldn’t be any air leaks anywhere but now it’s bogging from a rich mixture and smoking all the time:o| Plus the track started spinning furiously again, the plugs are slightly wet so I swapped them and it’s still happening... I also bypassed the tors system too so I don’t think it could be that, I’m out of ideas unless it’s clutch related. It has 125psi on all 3, any ideas would be much appreciated, sorry for the long paragraph

Check for worn clutch parts.

Just started it up and took the plug caps off while it was running and cap 1 and 2 affected it but cap 3 didn’t do much so I changed the spark plug and it started firing but still bogging and backfiring

If you dropped in a new plug, then it has to be the cap or coil.

Okay, I have 2 sets of coils off of a 98 srx with the caps..think they should be the same? UPDATE: Running awesome now, must’ve been bad connection in the cap, thanks for the help guys

Last edited:

Back