Boring out a silencer can on a SX Viper

mmordan

Should this be done? I have read some say it is only for non power valve motors, or the red heads? Has anyone done this to their Viper? Did you see any performance changes good or bad? Does it sound better or worse?

Should this be done? I have read some say it is only for non power valve motors, or the red heads? Has anyone done this to their Viper? Did you see any performance changes good or bad? Does it sound better or worse?

I have seen and done it on all redhead triples, 600 and 700 non PVS, was told it worth about 4 horse on those and has a little nicer tone that wont get you busted by the DNR.

I have seen and done it on all redhead triples, 600 and 700 non PVS, was told it worth about 4 horse on those and has a little nicer tone that wont get you busted by the DNR.

Yeah that’s what I’ve seen on here and elsewhere as well. I have a 2002 SX Viper (power valve motor) and I just don’t know if it’s a good idea or not. I would like it to be a little louder not obnoxiously loud just throatyer, but I don’t want to really spend any money now on a can. I also definitely don’t want to sacrifice any performance for sound so these are my questions. Anyone been where I’m at before? With a Viper?

Do you believe this to be the case? Sounds like pretty good return on investment.

Been a long time but I seem to remember that the silencer mod, reed spacers/stopper mod, and thinning the head gasket was worth about 8-10 hp total. Definitely required some clutch tweaking to get the rpms back down.

Been a long time but I seem to remember that the silencer mod, reed spacers/stopper mod, and thinning the head gasket was worth about 8-10 hp total. Definitely required some clutch tweaking to get the rpms back down.

Exactly and its all free mods :) Other then the clutch changes.

I’m guessing the lack of response is because no one has done this... There is probably a reason why not I would imagine... Due to the Power Valves?

What size wood hole bore do you use? How exactly is it done. My friend can do this on his 2000 red head Venture 600?

Back