2004 venom 600 fouling plugs

putzy

Okay, put about 450 miles on my venom and put in 3 sets of plugs in those miles, all 3 plugs are black/oily on center porclein, checked airbox, carb jetting, comp, fuel mixture screws, choke adjustment
my oil pump cable is at 19mm, in 100 miles of trail riding I used alittle less than a quart of oil ,where my wife's 01 sx-r 600 used alittle over a cup full. I can tell when I'm about to foul a plug , sled starts to gurgle a lot at slow speed and pops when coming to a stop . Any ideas?

Okay, went through and reset oil pump to 23 mm, checked chokes, etc, had put new orings on valve seats earlier this fall,so I know there good, checked fuel pump to make sure no gas getting by vacumm side of pump, fuel screws set at 2, jetting stock, did do reed stopper mod also this fall, put in br9eya plugs, ran sled yesterday for 60 miles at 5 degrees above zero. Sled didn't foul any plugs, but when I would come to a stop sign or slow down real fast ,sled would gurgle and run rich for a split second while getting on throttle, it idles great on all 3, pulls strong in mid and top end, but can't figure out that richness. Seems like it's going to foul a plug but doesn't. Pto sparkplug is black and center and mag side are burning fine??? I know once it gets in 20s and 30s It will be worse,

Last edited:
The venom has the same style airfilter as the viper ,but the viper gets cold air through the front of cowling on each side of headlight as where the venom cowling is closed off and looks like it only draws air from under hood because I can't find any other air intake areas, the sxr s for example would bring in the cold air from behind the cowling towards the rider, I'm thinking this is part of issue, I might try adding two 2 inch round vents in cowling by instument cluster and see if that helps. I have 2 sx- r 600 and they run nice and clean, never have to put plugs in them.

Last edited:
The venom has the same style airfilter as the viper ,but the viper gets cold air through the front of cowling on each side of headlight as where the venom cowling is closed off and looks like it only draws air from under hood
Can each side of the light be modded like a OE Viper hood.
Only drawing underhood warm air sounds kinda cr@ppy. Pressure differential to the carbs would be maximized by this design.
Check your vent tubes. Make sure they are where they should be, clear and not plugged.

Last edited:

Back