Vmax SX600 - Oil consumption

weedman15

Hi Everyone,

New to the site. Had a couple questions or problems I needed help on. So I bought a 96 VMAX SX600 with 1500 miles late in the season last year and rode a few times with the choke half open while riding just to keep it idling. So this year, I went thru and cleaned the carbs, jets, new needle and seat, flipped the reeds, new plugs. Sleds was idling great and has great low end power and power to full throttle. But when I go full throttle, then back down to half and back to full again, it doesn't accelerate at all until I stop to idle, then has power and repeats the cycle. Then, last weekend I went on an 80 mile ride and used an entire tank of oil, this cant be normal??

So I opened the hood and saw oil residue by the fuel pump and thought maybe the pump is bad, leaking oil and not sufficient pressure to fill the carbs. Filled the oil tank 3/4 full, marked the level and let sit a few days, no change in level. Installed the new full pump tonight, same performance, plus on a 2 mile ride, the oil level dropped 1/4" in the tank.

Is the amount of oil being fed affecting my performance on top end (too rich) and what is the normal oil usage and how do I correct this?

Thanks in advance for help!

Thanks for the response. After doing some research online, I found that a 12 gallon tank will typically use 1 quart of oil.

I did look at the oil pump and it does look like it seats, but the throttle and oil pump engagement were not in sync and the oil cable pulled before the throttle, so I adjusted this. After making the adjustment and opening full throttle, it looks like the tick marks are not lining up like they should, like it is short on oil at full throttle. But if I adjust to line the tick marks, it pulls the stop off the seat on the oil pump. Is there a different adjustment I need to make?

Back