MM700 Oiil light and Temp light

aaroncarp

Hi everyone,
I am on a 2002 MM700. When I rode about 10 days ago, the oil light came on about 5 miles from the cabin. I checked the level, and I was at about 1/3 of a tank (maybe more?). The temp outside dropped from about 20F that day to about -5F in the afternoon. I let the sled sit for about an hour or so before loading it on the pickup. When I fired it up, the oil light and the temperature light were both on. Since then, I have refilled the oil reservoir and have fired it up twice briefly (once to unload it, and once to check the light status). The lights still remain on. However, we haven't seen above 15F in over two weeks; so if something is frozen up, it hasn't had the chance to thaw out.

What would cause both lights to turn on? Is there a chance that the oil level sensor is frozen up? Is the sled safe to ride this weekend? Any advice on diagnosing the problem would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

It seems to be using oil. At least it was the whole day I was riding it, then I refilled it and it has only ran for about 5 min total since then. I haven't pulled the plugs. I can do that this evening to see if they look alright.

For both to be on all of the sudden, can only be a wiring problem I would think.
Certain oils will always leave the oil light on. My buddy runs Klotz in his SRX and other sleds, and his light is always on.
If temp light is on at cold start up, its obviously not overheating at that point, so just a wiring, sensor, or something.
Not much help for ya. Cant think what would cause both to come on.

So I got the sled inside today to thaw it out. The electrical diagram in my service manual is a bit overwhelming to look at, but the cables that run to the gauges and indicator lights seemed to have sagged down and were touching the exhaust. When I pulled the sheathing off the cable, the insulation from several wires inside had been melted together.

This seems like it could be the source of my problem. It makes sense to me that having the wires melted together, could have provided an alternative path to ground for the indicator lights. This would also explain why I had the oil indicator light turn on before several hours before the temp light did. If a relay had failed somewhere I would think the lights would turn on simultaneously, and I find it unlikely that the oil level switch and the thermostat both failed on the same day.

I'm going to try to find the cable part number to order a new one. If I cant find it, I will just splice new wires in and re-route the cable. Hopefully this fixes my problems and didn't damage any more of the electrical system in the process.

I cut the melted wires out, soldered them back together, and wrapped them up. This seems to have shut the indicator lights off. They still blink when I fire it up, so it seems to be working properly.

Thanks for all the help.

Back