Help me troubleshoot!

Swes54

I have a 2000 Yamaha Phazer. It is new to us and just bought and seemed to be running fine when we tested it but didn't have a whole lot of room or field to really get it going so now here we are: I need some help with knowing what to check and troubleshoot my way through an issue I am having with it (we are new to owning and working on sleds; however my significant other is mechanically inclined just hasn't worked on snowmobiles before):

At over/around 60 mph it dies. We can get it running again but then will happen again. We also notice that it runs rough at lower speeds as well. It has new spark plugs.
The sled has plastic skis and feels very squirly but I'm thinking this has more to do with suspension than the skis? but maybe not? I'm mostly concerned about the dying issue and running rough. Could you all offer some advice and checklist of things to do to narrow down or attempt to narrow down so we can fix? I'm hoping you aren't going to tell me this is a lost cause and a complete waste of money or going to be a money pit... I want to be optimistic here! I've always had a sweet spot for Phazers and probably just jumped on this one and handed over the cash too fast. But I need some hope!

Thank you!

Start with a compression check, thourough carb cleaning, and make sure you still have the fan belt intact.

This might be a case of "it happened to me so now I think all problems are the same as mine" but check the pulse line going into the bottom end, shouldnt be any fuel or gas in it. If it is, the fuel diaphragm is leaking. My SRX700 has a similar looking pump and it just failed. 10% Ethanol kills stuff like this...

Sounds like it is possibly draining the bowls, can't keep fuel supplied to them. I'm with the other folks above...change fuel filter, clean carbs, check pulse line.

Back