Whole motor filled with gas

destey

Got a '89 Phazer and after filling it with gas and leaving it overnight, the next day I found about half the gas had leaked out of the tank and into the motor. When I took the carbs off, gas poured out of the airbox and reed cage. Seems the whole bottom end is filled. Must be the needle valve(s) or fuel pump diaphram. But my question is, what do I do to get the gas out? Can I just run the starter for maybe 10 seconds?

Pull the plugs out and run the starter in your case(assuming e-start) or pull the rope several times, and then wonder how much fuel is in the pipe, like remove it and see. Most likely, for your circumstance, the tank vent is obstructed creating your issue. Most overlooked and simplest fix.

Test your existing needles valves while your in there cleaning the carbs.

Pull the plugs out and run the starter in your case(assuming e-start) or pull the rope several times, and then wonder how much fuel is in the pipe, like remove it and see. Most likely, for your circumstance, the tank vent is obstructed creating your issue. Most overlooked and simplest fix. Test your existing needles valves while your in there cleaning the carbs.
Makes sense. Assuming I get the issue figured out, can I just try and start it with some (maybe lots) of fuel still in the bottom end (after dumping out the fuel in the tuned pipe)? Or would you just crank it over with the plugs off? Bad idea to use the electric start (fire?)? I was also worried about blowing a seal on the bottom end due to too much pressure with it filled with liquid vs air (similar to a hydrolock), should I be worried? Thanks for your help, Derek

It's probably the o-ring on the needle and seat. Be careful starting it. It can hydraulic lock and bend rods.

pull exhaust off, plugs out, kill switch off, zip tie throttle wide open and start pulling. i would stay away from the electric start due to risk of fire.

I had the same problem. Faulty fuel pump. Took a lot of pulling to get it cleared and was very worried about ruining the rods.

I had the same problem. Faulty fuel pump. Took a lot of pulling to get it cleared and was very worried about ruining the rods.
You aint kidding! I pulled it over for a while last night, it kept shooting gas out the plug holes like a gyser, and the pulse line is where the most is coming from, spurts a lot of gas each pull. I gave up after a little while as the whole garage filled with noxious fumes. It'll take me a few days to clear this out as I can only take the fumes for so long, which is ok as I'm waiting for the fuel pump rebuild kit.

From what I remember it was better to simply buy a whole new fuel pump...hardly made sense price wise and dealing with the old from my memory

You aint kidding! I pulled it over for a while last night, it kept shooting gas out the plug holes like a gyser, and the pulse line is where the most is coming from, spurts a lot of gas each pull. I gave up after a little while as the whole garage filled with noxious fumes. It'll take me a few days to clear this out as I can only take the fumes for so long, which is ok as I'm waiting for the fuel pump rebuild kit.

I don’t know if anyone mentioned or you did already but you may want to shut off the fuel if you have a shutoff valve or drain the fuel tank. If fuel is still being fed to the motor you are making clearing it out more difficult (until the gas is gone anyway).

I don’t know if anyone mentioned or you did already but you may want to shut off the fuel if you have a shutoff valve or drain the fuel tank. If fuel is still being fed to the motor you are making clearing it out more difficult (until the gas is gone anyway).
I should put a shutoff on, that's a good idea. I drained the tank into gas cans with a siphon after I noticed gas on the floor so there shouldn't be much in the tank if any. Also the carbs are off and fuel pump disconnected from the tank line. I pulled on it quite a few times, I think it finally stopped spraying gas out the pulse line. Gave me a workout pulling it over, seemed to spray fuel out the line for forever.

Must have been the pump. With the new fuel pump rebuild kit in there, my buddy rode it all day the other day and it ran great. Although when I had the pump apart, I didn't notice any membranes torn. I did notice it had 2 sheets of the plastic stuck together on one side and only one on the other. My other phazer just had one sheet on each side (I rebuilt both machines fuel pumps this past friday). The rebuild kit only came with enough of those plastic sheets for one on each side. Maybe it was assembled improperly at the factory 30 yrs ago? Or maybe my problem was a stuck float and it could happen again? Going to install a fuel shutoff valve this summer. Not sure why they don't have one from the factory.

Last edited:
My girlfriend's RMK will draw a siphon and fill the cylinders every time I trailer it when the fuel tank is clear full. It had a fuel shut off when we bought it and it solves this problem...when I remember to shut if off that is. I got to have the fun of spraying fuel out the sparkplug holes last year because I forgot to shut it off. Of course it was when we arrived at our riding area and were ready to go ride right away. Didn't take long to get the fuel out, but waited an hour with it tipped on its side before being brave enough to fire it up.

Back