Very poor fuel mileage srx 700

srx700pilot

I purchased a 98 srx 700. I let my kids ride the sled around the yard. It runs ok but looses power on higher throttle. Low end seems ok. It went through about 10 gallons of gas after 37 miles. I cleaned the carbs, set air screws @ 1.5 out. I thought maybe a float jet was not seating right but they appear all clean. The carbs in general appear to have some surface varnish in places. Also The old air filter was literally falling apart in pieces. It was almost dust like. What would make it go thru so much fuel so fast? It also seams it has high oil consumption. I’m taking carbs off one more time now. Any help is appreciated. I also replaced plugs because it wasn’t running on all 3. The one thing I noticed is when I pull one of the caps off while running, I get a hefty shock from it every time. Could that contribute to the poor fuel usage? I turned off all lights at night to see if I could see it arching, and didn’t see anything.

Check your jetting and clean carbs. Report back your jetting here and what elevation you are ridning at.
Have you cleaned the powervalves?

Jets have all been cleaned twice. I have air screws now at 1 1/2. I had them at 1 1/8. The choke I adjusted so there was just a hair of slack, and the choke mechanism on the carb rack are moving really nice and freely. I have a rack of carbs off an Sx 700, would that work on the SRX? I also have an 01 SRX I’m thinking about just putting those carbs on to see if that’s for sure what it is, which it has to be. It seems to start great, and run pretty dang good, too end is maybe not quite there, but everything else firnsure seems good.

Did you put anything back on for an air filter? If you put anything that restricts the flow too much it will choke it out. I don't think that would cause it to go through 10 gallons in 37 miles though. It is probably leaking somewhere. Sometimes the fuel lines can get hard and then don't seal very well. Also fuel pump could be bad and sucking fuel in the pulse line that goes from the pump to the engine. Does the center cylinder seem to be getting more fuel than the other 2 if you pull the plugs?

Back