Mono shock skid in SRX causing drag

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
A few years ago I put a skid from an Apex ER in my '98 SRX and have noticed a decrease in the fuel range of the sled ever since.I've had the sled on a lift a number of times since I put the skid in and even with the track tension reduced considerably it still seems to have more rolling resistance than what I'd consider normal.It has an aftermarket rear axle (MMP) with 8" wheel but stock middle ones and I would think the 8" wheels would give less rolling resistance and I even run the track tension on what I'd consider the slack side because I even thought about letting a couple turns on the adjusters out to give the track a bit more sag.I took the outer 8" wheels off to check the amount of track sag and with them off it has lots,even with them installed it isn't what I'd say is too tight.
I used an install template to make sure the holes were right and all the bearings and bushings are either new or in good shape.I just don't know if there's something I'm overlooking that would make the track turn harder than what should be normal.

I use 2 bearings on each side of the upper shock mount so the track will not rub and less rolling resistance. Are you running 5.35 inch wheels that replace the stock 5.125 inch wheels?

Is your belt within specs?

I use 2 bearings on each side of the upper shock mount so the track will not rub and less rolling resistance. Are you running 5.35 inch wheels that replace the stock 5.125 inch wheels?

Is your belt within specs?

I use that bearing kit on the top shock mount as well and I'm using mainly idlers and mounts from an old skid from my SRX.I looked at the brake caliper and suspected that the pistons may have been sticking a little so I took it apart and cleaned them up and bled the system with new DOT 4 fluid.I don't know if I'm going to be able to try the sled again this winter or not.The weather has turned to crap with temps way above freezing and it rained off and on for about a day and a half.

Does the hub that holds the rotor slide along the shaft ok?They like to stick after a few years and will wear one pad down before the other when they do.Ya and clutching /belt has a big effect on gas mileage .

Does the hub that holds the rotor slide along the shaft ok?They like to stick after a few years and will wear one pad down before the other when they do.Ya and clutching /belt has a big effect on gas mileage .
Hub is sliding fine and the pads are wearing evenly.I run clickers now and am thinking over the summer that I will round up the stuff for an 8DN20 setup and sell the clicker setup.I run the 8DN trail setup in my '01 and appreciate how smooth the engagement and shifting is so that's the biggest reason I want to put it into my '98 as well.It's funny that my '01 with trail porting,shaved heads and bored carbs with larger mains gets better mileage.

Ya I found the heel crackers great for drag racing but for all around performance that wont kill your clutch over the long run the less aggressive weights work fine. Low engagement with a nice steady pull to top rpm is the best on gas I think.

Back